Marvel Mystery Oil...thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Marvel Mystery Oil...thoughts?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 08-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
rocknjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Marvel Mystery Oil...thoughts?

Well I look at it this way. The Jeep was created for the military in 1941. Marvel Mystery Oil was used on everything in the military, jeeps, planes, boats, ships, trucks, amphibious vehicles. My grandfather (an old Navy man) said they used the stuff all the time and still to this day uses it when troubles arise.

Has anyone used it? If so what were your thoughts or findings?

rocknjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
Talos
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I stopped using it in the crankcase when I switched over to full synthetic oil but I still pour a few ounces into the gas tank every few fill ups. When I first got my Jeep 18 years ago it pinged pretty bad but that was cured after about four tankfulls adding Mystery Oil. Good stuff, in my opinion.
Talos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknjeep View Post
Well I look at it this way. The Jeep was created for the military in 1941. Marvel Mystery Oil was used on everything in the military, jeeps, planes, boats, ships, trucks, amphibious vehicles. My grandfather (an old Navy man) said they used the stuff all the time and still to this day uses it when troubles arise.

Has anyone used it? If so what were your thoughts or findings?
But your engine was made post 1991, the logic does not compute.
Some people live by it, some think it "can't hurt", and yet others think every mechanic-in-a-can is a mountebank ware.
I've used it in my Jeep. Never noticed an improvement or problem.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
xxxflhrci

Good ole' Marvel Mystery oil......ATF mixed with kerosene.....Yep, just because granddaddy used it, it's gotta be good. More hype than anything, IMO. The propaganda on the can makes for a good read though and it smells nice.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
pacodelahoya
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I use it to clean my guns. Gets cosmoline of the milsurps and gets carbon off the shooters. It's like a cleaner, lubricant protectant at about a fifth of the price of the big names. None of my guns are rusty, and they all run just fine.

Have never used it in a vehicle.

Do they have AA for Jeeps?
pacodelahoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
rocknjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just a bump for the morning rounds.
Unread 08-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknjeep View Post
Just a bump for the morning rounds.
Don't bother with it. No real gain and some have had issues after using it.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Grampa used asbestos on the furnace pipes too and we all know how good that stuff is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
Good ole' Marvel Mystery oil......ATF mixed with kerosene.....Yep, just because granddaddy used it, it's gotta be good. More hype than anything, IMO. The propaganda on the can makes for a good read though and it smells nice.
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Talos
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I found this in a Piper Owners forum. Interesting list of ingredients!
I stand by it as a fuel additive but for the crankcase- just run a good full synthetic oil and forget about additives.
Talos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I never used to believe in this stuff either until several years ago when my lifters started ticking. I put in a quart 200 miles before a oil change and the ticking went away and has not returned. I got my $5 worth.
Unread 08-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
rocknjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna try it out and see I guess.
Unread 08-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
SleddinJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
Grampa used asbestos on the furnace pipes too and we all know how good that stuff is.
Are you being sarcastic or serious? Ahaha sorry, couldnt tell if you were saying that the Mystery Oil is good or if its bad. With all the hype of how "bad" asbestos is now a days its hard to tell.

On a side note, why am I the only person whos never heard of this Mystery oil?
Unread 08-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was just trying to say just because it was used many moons ago doesn't mean it was all that great in the long run.
IMO if you need a little inside engine cleaning it's ok infrequently but, you don't want to start over doing it and cleaning the oil off the cylinder walls and bearing surfaces.
Asbestos was all I could think of at the time.
Oh and BTW there was a little sarcasm intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleddinJeeper View Post
Are you being sarcastic or serious? Ahaha sorry, couldnt tell if you were saying that the Mystery Oil is good or if its bad. With all the hype of how "bad" asbestos is now a days its hard to tell.

On a side note, why am I the only person whos never heard of this Mystery oil?
Unread 08-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have had first hand experience with MMO - although it hasn't been in my Jeep, rather with it in my two Cub Cadet garden tractors.

After adding a few ounces to the crankcase and to the fuel. Within the first tankful of gas they both stopped smoking blue when laboring up a hill or such.

I will continue to use it in my old Cub Cadets. I have put it in my autos but did not notice any differences........ However, because of the success I've had with it in the Cubs, I will try some in my recently-purchased 100+K mile 4-cyl '95 YJ which has a loud 'tick' in it. I was just thinking today that I'll dump some in the crankcase and into the fuel tank and see if it will clear up the 'ticking'.......

As was pointed out earlier, I've read many folks swear by in in air-cooled engine uses, whereas not as many 'believers' for water-cooled engine use.

Just my 2 cents,,,,,Good Luck!
J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #15
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been useing it in the gas tank for years on everything from weedeaters to Jeeps to trucks to motorcycles. I have used it a time or two in the crankcase when I suspected a sticking lifter (seemed to work). MMO in the mower or weed eater gas will do the same as Stabil, and keep the gas from going bad. I've never tried it for cleaning firearms, but I think I will- it just seems to make sense to me. FWIW- I'd always heard that adding ATF to the crankcase would free up stuck lifters- didn't work for me, but did start useing more oil... MMO did a better job of freeing up the lifters when used several months later, but didn't do anything for the increased oil consumption. Now I use Mobil One exclusively in all 4-stroke engines with no problems; still use a shot of MMO in the tank...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.