Marine Speakers vs Auto Speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Marine Speakers vs Auto Speakers

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Sakis94Wrangler
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Marine Speakers vs Auto Speakers

I am actually putting a new 10" sub in my boat, but am also thinking about putting one in my Jeep. Have any of you had any experience between the two. Just trying to figure out if the marine speakers are worth the extra money.

Sakis94Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you are like me and never put the top up (why do I even own a soft top?) then they are well worth the extra money, as well as the peace of mind they provide.
There's a reason they make marine specific sound equipment, and it's not just a marketing gimick.
Also ionvest in some dielectric grease for all the wiring connections, it's a couple bucks well spent buddy.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Dwayne93YJ
Damn YJ...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Worth every penny, I dont have them in my Jeep, but had them in my boat. All the stock speakers in the boat were replaced with waterproof ones and worked awesome. Same goes with the head unit (stereo) and amplifiers.

Dwayne
1993 YJ Titan 4.7L Stroker, 63MM Throttle body & Spacer, AX15, NP231, 1" Body, 0" SOA Alcan Spring Lift, 1" Skyjacker Boomerang Shackles, ARB Lockers, '79 Ford Dana 60 Axles w/ kingpin front, SYE & Tom Woods Drive Shafts, 37" Super Swampers, Airaid Air Dam, Tuffy everything, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier, Metal Cloak Arched Tube Fenders w/ 6" Flares, Dual Optima Yellow Top Batteries, Poison Spyder Customs Trail Cage, Metal Cloak Rockers, 4 sets of KC Highlights, etc...(check my profile for more)
Dwayne93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i use an ipod type device. its cheaper, less maintenance, sounds better, protects your ears from wind, and you don't force others to listen to your crap.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
i use an ipod type device. its cheaper, less maintenance, sounds better, protects your ears from wind, and you don't force others to listen to your crap.
And illegal in alot of states, you might want to verify it with yours.
Here you can not have headphones in while driving, yet handsfree phone headsets are fine - go figure!
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
Unread 06-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
Here you can not have headphones in while driving, yet handsfree phone headsets are fine - go figure!
Hands free phone headsets aren't usually cranked up to 10!

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i agree. i, however, often pick and choose what rules to follow. they tend to be written for the lowest common denominator.
the other day at a public pool the rules stated you had to shower before and after using the pool. thats some stupid &*%$.

even with my music thingy ill still hear a siren as well as everything else. if i still had the 2x10", 1x8", and component 4.5"ers turned up then i wouldnt hear anything. those days are over now.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, I think I had a post deleted in this thread.
Unread 06-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
if i still had the 2x10", 1x8", and component 4.5"ers turned up then i wouldnt hear anything.
After a few years with that in your car I am surprised you can hear at all.
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
Sakis94Wrangler
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys,the one in the boat is actually in the console. It shouldn't get wet bet I guess contant moisture would be a problem. Time to head to ebay!
Sakis94Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
rlmcd1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i agree. i, however, often pick and choose what rules to follow. they tend to be written for the lowest common denominator.
the other day at a public pool the rules stated you had to shower before and after using the pool. thats some stupid &*%$.

even with my music thingy ill still hear a siren as well as everything else. if i still had the 2x10", 1x8", and component 4.5"ers turned up then i wouldnt hear anything. those days are over now.
There are some dirty people out there, is the only reason I could see the showering before, and is the reason why I will never use a public pool.
rlmcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i wish i had marine speakers...... all of mine are caked with mud, and barely work

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
denisehoyt

Sound Bar Advice Sought.

Anyone have a suggestion as to a brand and type of sound bar for my 91 YJ?
denisehoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
Bondo007
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had speakers installed in my boat 5 yrs ago and they work fine. They are not marine speakers. The guy told me he would warrenty them for life. The marine speakers dont have the sound quality that the regular speakers have. Good luck with which either speaker you chose.
Bondo007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #15
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have marine speakers in my YJ and it gets soaked constantly. Rain storms, hosing it out, you name it...it gets wet in there and the speakers keep working. Just make sure they have a plastic cone and not paper and you'll be fine. Head unit however, is marine, and works like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.