Marine Speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Marine Speakers

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Marine Speakers

Do y'all have any experience of using non-marine speakers in your jeeps?

I am thinking of purchasing some cheap Wakeboard Speaker cans, the kind that have ring mounts, and replacing the crappy speakers in them with some polk's that are not marine rated. Then mounting on the cross beam of the roll cage directly behind the driver and passenger's heads.

Do you think that as long as they are angled slightly down and I don't submerge the thing up to the roll cage they will be fine? I plan on keeping the top off all spring and summer and the inside is going to eventually get rained on at some point.

frorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
1320yj

Even marine speakers are not designed to be submerged in water, they only have plastic speaker cones to resist water.
They are just designed to survive a little water splashed on them.
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a set of Pyle marine speakers and a marine radio in the dash. The speakers are mounted in those plastic pods. They sound OK but not great. They have withstood splashing OK but I wouldnt take it top off through the carwash

[/URL][/IMG]
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have Kicker 6x9s on my rear fender wells. I try to put grocery bags over them when it rains but they have survived for about 2 years now. If you run a bikini top I'm sure they will be fine.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got Sony Explodes, They are OK sounding but they are cheep, have plastic cones in them and have been rained on & even snowed on during deer season and still work fine after 2 years.

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok cool. I'm not "planning" on them getting soaked, just wasn't sure if a normal speaker was going to immediately implode if it got splashed on. I think i'm going to go with this set up then. Thanks!
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
1320yj

I bought some cheap 6.5 speakers on ebay for less than $25.00 a pair and a Kenwood AM/FM/CD for less than $55.00 brand new .
It sounds great and if it gets ruined I am not out too much money.
Unread 03-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #8
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2510 View Post
I have a set of Pyle marine speakers and a marine radio in the dash. The speakers are mounted in those plastic pods. They sound OK but not great. They have withstood splashing OK but I wouldnt take it top off through the carwash

[/URL][/IMG]
I'm amazed you managed to fit that in the pod.. did you take the plastic off the magnet? I had gotten the same set for my pods but ended up getting some cheap 6x9s for $20 from autozone when they wouldn't fit.
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have polks up front and some 6x9s that came in the speaker wedges for the rear. Sounds great except lacks hard hitting bass. But you cant expect much in a topless vehicle.

Mine have been caked with mud, sat through rain and then directly hosed off and have been fine for a few years now
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

I have to ask, why are you even bothering asking about non marine speakers ?

Since your going to buy them simply buy marine.

It`s not that hard.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
marzcap328
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A lot of times it's the moisture that kills them rather than direct water. Non marine speakers for the most part are using a paper cone (Obviously some variations on the materials) which over time can degrade from absorbing and sweating moisture out. Further, marine speakers metal components are tin coated to prevent corrosion. Up by me, frequent splashes+salt air= non marine speakers not lasting very long.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/17-year-old-dream-1146581/"]Build Thread- 17 Year Old Dream[/URL]
marzcap328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
I have to ask, why are you even bothering asking about non marine speakers ?

Since your going to buy them simply buy marine.

It`s not that hard.
I'm trying not to use marine speakers. A good set of the wakeboard cans cost ~$300 I have a hookup on some new non-marine polk audio equipment, 4x6" 6.5" deck and amp for about 65% off.

I'll go with it and should all work out. Also, after searching around the google, I've decided to make some of the DIY wakeboard speaker cans out of PVC pipe. They look pretty dang good for how cheap they are. It looks like a lot of guys use them in their Razr's

http://www.rzrforums.net/lighting-st...pods-pics.html
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
95YJRusso
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a sound bar above the passenger and driver, with a bikini top on its rained a few times and the speakers stay nice and dry up there. They've been working fine for three years now and they are just regular old kenwoods
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa
I'm amazed you managed to fit that in the pod.. did you take the plastic off the magnet? I had gotten the same set for my pods but ended up getting some cheap 6x9s for $20 from autozone when they wouldn't fit.
I had to shim them out about 3/4" with a round shim made out of black high density closed cell foam rubber so the mags would clear. The foam is between the pod and the mounting flange of the speaker.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 04:33 AM   #15
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2510 View Post
I had to shim them out about 3/4" with a round shim made out of black high density closed cell foam rubber so the mags would clear. The foam is between the pod and the mounting flange of the speaker.
Makes sense, I'll keep that in mind in case my cheap ones don't hold up well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.