Marine radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Marine radio

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Marine radio

So last year i bought a marine radio. Needed a rugged waterproof radio cause my jeep sits without a top most days. Well 6 months ago it broke. Can you guess from what..... Yes water!!! Sony replaced it no questions. Well the dam thing broke again, same problem, from water. I told them to sit on it!! So my question is how do you guys waterproof your radios? Not what radios you use but how do you keep them waterproof? I tried these

http://popular.ebay.com/consumer-ele...adio-cover.htm
but they dont fit . I was thinking of putting the radio in my golve box. It never gets wet in there(probably the only place in the jeep that doesnt) If anybody has any ideas or pictures I would love to see or hear them

Unread 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those covers are a pain in the #$$. If you don't mind spending a few bucks... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158H910...I.html?tp=1721 I have one of these on my Harley!!!! Great unit... I think it will still fit... its a standard DIN size but the face is larger. Big buttons and volume knob, easy to operate bouncing around. One reason I installed it on the bike. stands up to downpours
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Skip the radio. Get a pod that takes your mp3 and play that through your speakers.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
jmmorgan82

I have a Smittybilt radio center console that keeps mine nice and dry.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

MB Quart makes some pretty legit Marine grade stuff. I am currently running their 6 channel amp and it gets soaked almost daily. On top of that, I live on the ocean, so ifs bathed in salt from the air 24/7. Never had any issues.
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I ran a standard car CD player in one of these for years w/ no trouble.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50204

Currently ditched the radio in favor of a 2ch marine amp under the seat and my iphone running 2 wake tower tubies. Sounds 10x better.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Are the smittybuilt or tuffy center consoles that hold a radio waterproof?
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt say my smittybilt console is waterproof as it doesn't have any seals to keep out all moisture. But my non-marine radio has held up fine in it. I usually have a safari top so that helps keep most of the rain away from my console.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Since you asked in a PM I figure I can just add the info you asked for here.

In my build thread (link below) there are some pics of how I installed the current amp and speakers. I used an MBQuart Nautic 2ch amp and Bazooka wake tower speakers. The amp was around $50 from www.sonicelectronix.com. The speakers I picked up from Woot for ~$140, and another $40 for the proper tube clamps.

To run the iphone, I just bought a headphone to RCA adapter which worked fine. I just picked up this adapter so I can charge the phone while playing music, and it included a remote which is nice as I can put the phone in a box or bag out of the weather and still control the music. http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS76PR...ref=pd_sim_e_8 I haven't installed this new one yet

Another good option for speakers are from crawlertunes.com. I was going to get those initially but I found the Bazooka speakers before crawlertunes had their enclosures available. My buddy just got a pair of these with Polk speakers and they look very nice for just under $200.

Here's a pic to show where the speakers are mounted on my cage.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.