many many questions, suspension and misc... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > many many questions, suspension and misc...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
03Wrangler

many many questions, suspension and misc...

I got a 87 YJ for my first car.. it needed some TLC...

the rear wheels were all toed in and really messed up.... So we found a 95 rear end that we were told would fit. The rear shocks were all messed up and one was seized so i need to replace them....

We went to Napa, got the shocks that fit my jeep.... But, the ones they gave me were too short... Napa says that the only way that is possible is that there is a 3" lift in it.... It was bought used and i dont see one on there.... The old shocks fully extended were 21.5 inches.... the ones we bought were 18.....

All i know is that 31" tires fit in it very nicely and underneath looks stock to me....
However, the front shocks are aftermarket.... there is a 1" body bushing underneath it, dont know if that is stock??? how tall is another persons jeep that has 31" tires?? like the body height under neath the door to the ground?

with the 31" tires, how messed up will the speedometer be?

any body use a sound bar that likes to crank their music up? do they sound good with the 2 4x6's in the front???

why are there no rear seat belts? legal not to?

what is a good, cheap shock to buy and where from??

thanks for all the help, i know there is allot of questions here.....

erick

03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Maximummud

when i had 31s on my jeep, i measured the bottom of the tub to the ground to be 18 inches. thats with no lift. speedo should be dead on. my jeep came with rear seat belts..... yours should have them.

sorry thats all i can help on, hope it helps.

[COLOR="Red"]I AM IN MAJOR NEED OF SOME FREE FENDER FLARES FOR MY 90 YJ! PM ME IF YOU GOT SOME![/COLOR]
Maximummud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look at your springs. If they are flat or almost flat then you have stock springs. If not, you can measure how the lift by measureing from the center of the spring up to where the center point is between the spring eyes. Does that make sense? Get a string and hold one end on the middle spring and find the point in the middle where the string is between the sping eyes and that should help tell you about how much lift you have. Also look at the shackles to see how long they are. Body lift will not make make you need longer shocks so you need to find the amount of lift by suspension only.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
03Wrangler

they do have a 4 inch bend in them, thnaks for the help, the jeep is also 4 inches taller then the 18 like stock was....

thanks for th help.... n e help for the other ?'s?
03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
toke
I_R_Food

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redYJ
any body use a sound bar that likes to crank their music up? do they sound good with the 2 4x6's in the front???
I just put 4x6 infinity reference speakers in the dash and it completes the sound

by that i mean when driving with no doors or top the sound from the rear speakers sounded ....washed out .. windblown with the front in i can hear the music clearly

2001 Grand RIP

2004 Rubicon RIP
toke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #6
Cannon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJMan/Eric,

Rear wheels toed = camber adjusment. When I opened the differential, was so bad had to replace the half-shafts.

31's are a slight rub on flares at full articulation on a stock YJ. So if no rub, must have lift. How much - post a pic!

Spedo will not be off an enormous amount. One complete revolution of the tire will take longer = faster speed you are driving, but lower indicated on meter. I don't do math and had to look up at the ceiling just to make that grande postulation!

Your 'sig doesn't say where you're from so, can't quote that state's law, check the "state"dmv website. But if you've got living breathing projectiles in the back seat, cmon $$$ in simple belts... (bed has three torx holes for mounting). When you look at most posts, this is a within-reason safety concious community. If your state has clickitorticket... Hell how can I enjoy my "personal freedom" if I'm in the hospital, or had my butt sued and am broke? ('nuff said - not a buttchewing).

Speakers. I've extension speakers for both cb & scanner on brackets, tie tied above my head. Replaced the front's with same stock speakers (see posts on how much a b...* that is to do), but I water proof sprayed as well since have top off all 63 degree plus weather.

Shocks. Sears special! Was a buy three-get one free + free install. But No lift here, so just went with man, let me go check......

Welcome to the forum
'90YJ Hard & Soft w/Full Drs; 4.2 Rebuild w/ Webber, 30x10.5; Interstate MegatronII D34; Mods: Rock Guards; Hi Lift Inst; Herc'd Tub, Front & Under; Elev Rear Seat; Scty CntrConsole/ Overhead&Rear Boxes; KC Lights-Fr & Rear; PA Sys; Gauges; Int Lts; Batt/Alt Cable; Heater Mods; 8K Winch, KargoMaster Rack w/Yak Megawarrior Basket; Ground Lights (4);Dumped - Optima Yellow after only 4yrs
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.