Manual transmission drain plug..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual transmission drain plug..?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
fishmanwill
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Manual transmission drain plug..?

Where is the drain plug for the 5speed manual transmission the BA10? I could not find one that is low enough for draining the transmission. I found one towards the front on the passenger side but about 1/2 way up and there is one towards the rear on the same side about 1/2 way up. I tried opening one of those just to check the fluid, but I could not get it opened. I thought it needed a 3/8" ratchet and extension, but that is too large. So if you guys could let me know where the drain plug and fill plug is and how to get it open if I am looking at the right ones. Thank you very much and sorry if this is any easy thing, I couldnt figure it out.

Will

Unread 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here a fuzzy pic showing your level/fill plug #16 and washer #17. The drain plug and washer appear to be #21 and #20. The view shows the passenger side, with the rear of the transmission towards the left.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's a 5/16" square drive that you need.

As for plug locations, I can't help you. My BA10 experience is limited.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
fishmanwill
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What type of fluid do you recommend? My book says either 75/90 or manual transmission lubricant. What do you recommend and how much? Thank you.

Will
Unread 04-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Alvy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hope this helps, from the FAQ section by Rustywrangler
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/how-ba-10-5-tranny-fluid-change-write-up-652142/
1993 YJ, AX15, 4.0L, 8.8 LSD w/3.73's, Lock-rite locker in front, S.O.A. JB4x4 high steer bracket, BrandonYJ 1" Booms, Rugged Ridge SS S.Y.E. XJ drive shaft, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, Chevy Cavy seats, woods camo paint, 200,000 miles and still goin strong!
1993 Cherokee Country AW4,4.0L, 3.55's, 4" blocks in back, 4" TJ springs front, 31x10.50 BFG A/T, Ford Red paint, recently finished with 4wd conversion
Alvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanwill View Post
What type of fluid do you recommend? My book says either 75/90 or manual transmission lubricant. What do you recommend and how much? Thank you.

Will
Well, the "new official fluid recommendation" is 10W-30 motor oil for ALL manual gear boxes. We have AX-15's in out YJ's, and that's what I use. I've had really good results with that in ours.

IIRC, the original fluid recommendation for the BA10 was 75W-90 GL-4 spec gear oil. I think the manuals stated GL-5, but there was some chatter about that being a misprint, and the sulphur content of the GL-5 spec oil attacking the "yellow metal" syncros.

As for capacity, again my experience fails you on this on too. I'll check in the FAQ's & provide you with a link in just a minute.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 04-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvy View Post
Hope this helps, from the FAQ section by Rustywrangler
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652142
The link that Alvy provided isn't the same one I have here, but the one he linked to is probably exactly what you need!

Go Alvy!

Here's some more info to help you out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/frequently-asked-questions-faq-your-answers-usually-here-451154/

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
fishmanwill
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for all the help, I got it drained and refilled. Thank you.

Will
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
richdeude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
It's a 5/16" square drive that you need.

As for plug locations, I can't help you. My BA10 experience is limited.

Max
Where can i get this bit??? I only see it on UK sites....and so far no local stores carry them. Thanks!
richdeude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.