Manual trans question need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual trans question need advice

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
rmbrown
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Manual trans question need advice

So i got in a wreck w my yj last month insurance company declared totaled which sucks cause it was my first jeep w low miles and a 6" lift but i im thinkin of buyin it back until lastnite.Had to jumpstart brand new battery which was weird but then it went downhill from there got in the jeep put it in first gear and drove it down the drive way which was a mistake. Tried to turn around in a neihbors driveway and i couldnt shift from 4th gear to reverse so now i have 1-4 gear w/o 5th and reverse which totally sucks dont know what to do? my boss has a trany said i could buy it off him but idk so i called some trany places and one said it could cost up to 2,000 to fix i asked him what he thought caused the problem he said when the tow truck company was towing it back it could of messed up then he wasnt forsure.What are your guys thoughts and comments where do i start to look for the problem and would you buy it back or let it go... Ryan

rmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If your jeep has been totaled out by the insurance company the last thing I would do is drive it. What happened? I mean in all honesty you had 35's on 3.07's (according to your profile) so you probably deserve a do-over.
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You're going to have to consider what the overall damage is. Some insurance companies will total a vehicle just due to the age, but if you "diamond-ed" your frame, it's going to be very difficult to put that back together. You will likely have to consider keeping this Jeep for a long time as it will be difficult to sell with a salvage title. Post up some photos of the damages, etc. Tell us what got hurt on the Jeep. The AX 15 is not a difficult transmission to rebuild, many of us here have done it, but it is also easy to swap it out. For me to figure out why you have 1-4 but 5th/reverse is jammed would require me to pull it apart. 5th/Reverse share the same shift hub in the rear case, but I really can't figure out the mechanism of injury even if I knew what gear you were in on impact. You can pull off your skid and T case, then pull off the rear case housing and have a look at that shift hub without having to pull the trans. If you can unjam something, then you're back in action. If you wedged some interlock pins within the intermediate plate, then it will require more work. It all depends on your skill level or adventurous spirit, and how much time, money, effort you want to put on it in the Michigan winter.

Tell us more about this, I'm interested and have some thoughts.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
WesleySelman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have the AX5 or AX15?
I know that from smartpartsauto. com you can get a rebuilt tranny for way cheap. I got my AX5 for around 850, but then I can return my core and got 200 of that back.
If you have a buddy to help you out you can do the swap yourself. It's not to hard, mostly straight forward, just tedious.
WesleySelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Six cyl Jeep, he has AX15.

Reading more into what you have posted on the forum, you T-boned. If you didn't buckle your tub, it could just require some front end work. If you drove it, it doesn't sound like you trashed your radiator even. With 6" of lift, then your damage is likely bumper and undercarriage. With 3.07 diffs on 35s, you likely don't get much further than 3rd gear. Look around for another tranny, you have an external slave version, but you are not limited to getting 94 or newer trans, you can get older internal slave trans, and swap out your front input retainer to the older tranny and be back in business. Input bearing size you have is 0.750, a 91 or older will be 0.560 but you can get a different pilot bearing or bushing and that could work as well. So--post us up some injury photos, or an accurate damage assessment of what got doinked in the wreck.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
rmbrown
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replys..sold my jeep to my boss he has the time money and resources i dont..gonna wait till next year to look for a newer jeep proly a lifted tj stick or auto 2 door 4 wd ill keep my eyes open for one on here until then i can only dream about jeepin...
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if i had it to do again i would take a hard look at the LJ....
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What's this blasphemy about TJ/LJs? This is YJ tech. Shoo with your heinous talk!!

Sent from a Jeep.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
rmbrown
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well got my 94 yj back from my boss actually didn't leave my backyard but still in the same boat when I first started this thread have some pto starting next Friday if the weather is good I know what ill be doin time to tear in to her so I can get her back up in runnin....oh ya these gas prices are freakin ridiculous....Ill keep u guys posted

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.