making my jeep louder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > making my jeep louder

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-16-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
DavesMatthew

making my jeep louder

I want to make my jeep a little louder, not annoying loud, but like a nice deep rumble, ya know. My friend cut his exhaust off his v8 pickup and it sounds good. I was thinking about just pulling the exhuast pipe out of the muffler instead of cutting it and kind of moving it over so when I wanted to I could just put it back in and clamp it down without having to buy a new exhuast. I've just never heard of someone cutting the exhuast on a jeep. Don't know if its a good idea or not.

DavesMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
xxxflhrci

You don't say what your engine is. If it is a 4 or a 6, you ain't gonna get a throaty rumble no matter what you do. If you cut the muffler off, you will get a fart on the bottom of the bathtub sound that turns into an annoying drone in the higher RPM's.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 12:34 PM   #3
D4FS4

You don't want your Jeep to sound like an Honda Civic don't you?
Unread 09-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
CanukYJ

Don't understand all this pipe cutting and god awful cherry bombs, why spend money PRETENDING it has more power when we can spend money MAKING more power?????
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 02:00 PM   #5
DavesMatthew

Nah, thats a good point, I hate hondas and their F-ing fart pipes.
It's a 4.0L engine. I wish I could add more power but I'm 18 on a college budget. It was just an idea, I guess this is why I never see jeeps with this done to them.
DavesMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #6
CanukYJ

Yeah, no real point to doing it, didn't mean to sound harsh in the prev post. I'd save the time and money getting power mods, offroad mods, etc, something functional. Keep in mind one thing with exhaust, it doesn't take a whole lot to rip one off on a rock or log, so why mod the hell outta it when your gonna replace it a few times
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 08:52 PM   #7
YankeeYJ92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
Yeah, no real point to doing it, didn't mean to sound harsh in the prev post. I'd save the time and money getting power mods, offroad mods, etc, something functional. Keep in mind one thing with exhaust, it doesn't take a whole lot to rip one off on a rock or log, so why mod the hell outta it when your gonna replace it a few times
My YJ was given to me by my brother...and it is quite loud..its a 4 cylinder and i never knew why it was so loud......then i found out the muffler was MAJORLY cracked....so i ended up taking it off....and getting regular straight piping from autozone..and now i have nothing but a straight pipe........it's loud..and sounds good......it resembles the import exhaust in a WAY...but i'm 17 ...and on a college budget and it cost me 7 bucks.....and i like how it sounds.....but i figured i'd drop my 2 cents....good luck
YankeeYJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 09:11 PM   #8
Bob K

I am running an empty cat and a $20 Turbo muffler from AutoZone. It sounds awesome.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 09:16 PM   #9
DanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K
I am running an empty cat and a $20 Turbo muffler from AutoZone. It sounds awesome.
no cat and pacesetter (pos) cat back sounds good. didnt want to spend alot on exhaust last one was in pieces from rocks and treeroots.
[SIZE=4] [COLOR=red]NE[/COLOR][COLOR=white]Off[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Roading[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
H2RT MEMBER
[color=red] RED JEEP MEMBER #49[/color]
POS JEEP MEMBER #3
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 09:45 PM   #10
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm running no cat with a 40 series Flowmaster single in dual out.
It's kinda loud......
Unread 09-16-2003, 11:40 PM   #11
Nine5YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
you will get a fart on the bottom of the bathtub sound
LOL! descriptive
Unread 09-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #12
Briznett

I replaced my cracked muffler with a Delta Flowmaster mufler and it sounds nice. Deep rumble but nothing too "ricey". NOt that annoying hum all the civics have.
- [size=3][color=green][b]Green Jeep Club Member #55[/color][/b][/size]
- 4.0 I6 W/ 3.5" BDS Suspension, 33"x12.5" BFG Mud Terrain TAs on 772 Tailgunners
- Pioneer P840MP Head Unit, 10" Bazooka Subs in Jeep box, Infinity Kappa's in Soundbar and 6X9 Kappas in Soundwedge Boxes
Briznett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2003, 09:31 AM   #13
EMT Jeeper

I got a "high-flow" cat from pep boys and a dynomax muffler from autozone. not as deep as a V8, but not like an import either. kinda right in the middle.

DANA 44 front, 9" rear, and Chevy 350 waiting to go in on 36" TSL's

[URL=http://www.jeep-wrangler.com]My Jeep site[/URL]
EMT Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.