Make a copy TODAY !!! or be me ;( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Make a copy TODAY !!! or be me ;(

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Make a copy TODAY !!! or be me ;(

Left my conglomerate of keys including the only sets to my bike, my sami, and my 88 YJ, in the changing room @ walmart . Went back 10 minutes later and the dimwit lady could only describe the kid that used it after me as tall and skinny with "maybe" blue hair. Searched the store... nope. Thank Goodness my wife has a spare to the TJ and our other Sami, or Id never got the TJ home. What can I do for the '88 YJ?????

or the sami for that matter if anyone has any ideas? Ive had to replace a coded key from our newer explorer, but that was easy... dealership and vin.

Can I order a new cylinder? Locksmith?

ideas?

Thanks

schaan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Our local lock smiths charges about 20 bucks to come to your house and make a key as long as they are not chipped or sentry style keys.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Locksmith , or take your registration to the dealer and get a key cutoff the vin
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Get a key made, or replace all of the lock cylinders.
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so a locksmith can "make" a key? Man I hate to admit it , but i thought that was illegal or something. Ill start calling in the am. then..
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
LaughingStock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just another consideration before you make your decision. Someone walked off with the keys to your vehicles. It might not be a bad idea to rekey all of said vehicles, not just the YJ for anti-theft purposes. There was a local car lot that had the key lockbox stolen a few months ago. It allowed the thieves to walk in and take what they wanted at their leisure. I know its expensive to rekey, but how much will you be out if your Jeeps get stolen?
LaughingStock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingStock View Post
Just another consideration before you make your decision. Someone walked off with the keys to your vehicles. It might not be a bad idea to rekey all of said vehicles, not just the YJ for anti-theft purposes. There was a local car lot that had the key lockbox stolen a few months ago. It allowed the thieves to walk in and take what they wanted at their leisure. I know its expensive to rekey, but how much will you be out if your Jeeps get stolen?

yeah, im well known here and i had suzuki and jeep all over the keys. my rock crawlers are on my FB page and you have a very good point. Been meaning to do something different with the #11 anyway, but my daughters sami and my wifes TJ were on there too.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now to find someone willing to give me a "package" deal.
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Desert_Rampage
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Chrysler dealership VIN records for keys only go back to 1991. So that's outta the question.
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaan View Post
so a locksmith can "make" a key? Man I hate to admit it , but i thought that was illegal or something. Ill start calling in the am. then..
I had a locksmith come out to cut a key for a 300ZX a couple years ago. the only key I had was very worn and the tip broke off and was lost.

I had to show him the registration, an ID matching the registration and fill out some form required by the state. It took him around 45 minutes and I think it was around 50-60 dollars.
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Remember to get multiple keys now. I have a set, my wife has a set, and there is a set in the house.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks.. and to D.R. for that valuable tidbit of info...
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
sirhc76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

option B

sirhc76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Walmart has cameras......... there is a way to find out who got your keys....
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
Walmart has cameras......... there is a way to find out who got your keys....
My wife suggested that, and she called and talked to the security folks there. Their comments were that they are not allowed to release that information to the pubic without an accompanying police report. So I called the TPD and they say I have no proof I left my keys in there or that the kid who went in next took them or even anyway to identify the kid if they were to get is picture... They do not take lost and found reports...
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Desert_Rampage
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaan View Post
thanks.. and to D.R. for that valuable tidbit of info...
Any time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.