Major shifting problems help!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Major shifting problems help!!!!!!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
bbl32
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Major shifting problems help!!!!!!

I have a 95 yj, 2 inch body lift and shackle lift, 33's. When i got it, 2nd gear would scratch every now and then, but it's gotten really bad. Today it was so bad that i couldnt even put it into 2nd, it was grinding that bad. It grinds at high rpm's in 4th, but not in any other gears. Also when im at a stand still, if i put it in neutral and let the clutch out, it makes a slight rattling noise in my clutch/transmission area. Any ideas?
I was thinking maybe throwout bearing but i dont know why that would cause that much grinding on only one gear and not the others

bbl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bad synchros?

A few years ago I had synchros go from bad to worse. At first it ground just a little, then really got bad. Made horrible noises, wouldn't shift and had to be rebuilt. I think the brass synchros disintegrated and jammed up the rest of the trans.

3 years later it's grinding from 3-4th now. I can ease it into 4th if I wait a second between gears. Can't downshift to 3rd at all though. No matter how long I wait it just grinds and won't go in. Just picked up another trans and will be swapping it out.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

that sucks, sounds like your tranny is on its way out. defeinitely some bad synchos or your missing teeth on the gears

we had a saying at a construction gig i was doing a couple summers ago, while driving the trucks the owner told me the transmission is really bad, grinds into almost gear. the old saying was
"if you cant find it, just grind it"
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.