Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #91
iDriveYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bump.

iDriveYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #92
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you have pulled the rear case housing, and you have both snap rings off the engine side of the front case, you should be able to tap the front case off. The manual describes using a rubber/soft mallet. Are you following the manual in this job?

Edit, can also try standing the tranny vertical, support under the intermediate plate with wood blocks, etc. This will help eliminate any binding between the bearings on the input shaft and front of the cluster, then tap/wiggle the front case upwards.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #93
iDriveYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I try the wood block idea and see how it goes thanks.
iDriveYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #94
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone know where I can buy a new pivot rod? Had a hell of a time getting it out due to the previous person to work on this transmission galling it up bad with what looks like a cold chisel. Talked to SW Gear, they don't have one. Quadratec doesn't have them on their website.

and before anyone says it, the local shops are going to be on my call list next.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #95
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilfieldCowboy View Post
Anyone know where I can buy a new pivot rod? Had a hell of a time getting it out due to the previous person to work on this transmission galling it up bad with what looks like a cold chisel. Talked to SW Gear, they don't have one. Quadratec doesn't have them on their website.

and before anyone says it, the local shops are going to be on my call list next.
Got a picture of the part you need? I have a ton of transmission parts.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #96
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Got a picture of the part you need? I have a ton of transmission parts.

Max

edit:

I have a rebuild kit coming, as the guy I bought it from didn't know when it was rebuilt last. Here are a few photos showing the condition of the internals:

A little concerned about the marks on the gears in the first picture, but there aren't any corresponding marks on the mated gears on the cluster shaft.

Last edited by OilfieldCowboy; 02-04-2013 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: additional photos
OilfieldCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #97
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pivot shaft isn't a particularly close tolerance part. I would smooth out any imperfections on the shaft with emery paper & let it go. Cleaning/smoothing the bore it rides in will help too. Bear in mind that it can be installed backwards, upside down, or both. The hole in the end of the shaft faces the transfer case, and the threaded hole in the shaft needs the deepest countersunk side facing up. But I will check to see if I have one.

The gears are in excellent shape, and the small "cuts" are normally found in all of them. You're fine.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #98
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm using your thread as my blueprint for doing this rebuild, so I'm not too concerned about installing the pivot shaft wrong. Will hit just about everything I can with emery prior to reassembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
The gears are in excellent shape, and the small "cuts" are normally found in all of them. You're fine.
Good to know. This is the first time diving into a transmission, but not the first time rebuilding mechanical systems. Things I'm used to rebuilding any defect in the gears themselves meant replacement.
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #99
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have no doubt that you'll do an excellent job on the rebuild. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #100
jimbob78cj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 93 YJ with about 230,000 miles. Shifting grinding and basic weird noises led me to pull it for a rebuild. Bought a full rebuild kit and took my AX15 apart. Found several bits of synchronizer keys and a sheetmetal screw (yeah, go figure) lodged in the plastic "funnel" in the rear case half. It appears that because of this the fifth gear bearing didn't get lubed enough and roached the bearing, cluster gear shaft where the fifth gear counter rides and the fifth gear counter itself. My research has found a wide varying prices on cluster gears on the web. Are there any vendors to stay away from? Most priced out from $280 from Quadratec down to about $180 from places like Southwest Gear. There was one place, Allstate Gear, that was much cheaper than the others ~$118 but doesn't show any pictures. I worry about getting the wrong one since I have read that there were two different "versions" of the cluster gear (not counting the fifth gear nut retained version). Also it seems like most places sell the fifth gear counter in an "update kit" that includes the synchro and keys (which I already have in the rebuild kit). Any idea what the differences were in the two counter gear versions and should I concentrate on getting the update kit versus just the counter gear alone to make sure all parts "in sync" (yeah, bad pun).

Thanks in advance for your insight.

-jim
jimbob78cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #101
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, I use Southwest Gear for most everything. I've actually purchased 4 or 5 rebuild kits & various replacement parts this week from Nanci at Southwest.

I'm only aware of the clip/nut differences, otherwise I was under the impression that they're all the same. Another version would be news to me.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #102
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Southwest Gear is who I just purchased my rebuild kit from, they were great people to deal with. You should give them a call and pick the guys (Bob I think his name was) brain, he is a wealth of information.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #103
dswi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Max
Quick question...
If I get the tranny apart and can't seem to get it back together...What would the charge be to put it back together (supposing I can get it to your shop)...Guess I just need some confidence...I'm very mechanically inclined and work on air compressors in plants and factories (for the last 13 years or so). Rode Submarines (auxilliaryman) for 12 years before that...But I have never been into a tranny before...

Darrin
dswi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #104
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswi
Max
Quick question...
If I get the tranny apart and can't seem to get it back together...What would the charge be to put it back together (supposing I can get it to your shop)...Guess I just need some confidence...I'm very mechanically inclined and work on air compressors in plants and factories (for the last 13 years or so). Rode Submarines (auxilliaryman) for 12 years before that...But I have never been into a tranny before...
Dude, jump into it and don't look back! This was my very first transmission to rebuild as well and I followed this write-up. It is to the "T!" The only suggestion I can give you is to take your time and watch the small details. Don't be worried, but be mindful.

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #105
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winners97TJ View Post

Dude, jump into it and don't look back! This was my very first transmission to rebuild as well and I followed this write-up. It is to the "T!" The only suggestion I can give you is to take your time and watch the small details. Don't be worried, but be mindful.
Yup, just get on it.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Tags
transmission , rebuild , ax-15 , repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.