Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #46
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The most important tools of all are your brain, and the FSM.

Beyond that, work safely. Especially under the vehicle & using the press. It's not worth killing yourself or inflicting a permanent injury over. People who know me would argue that I would NEVER say this, but it's only a Jeep.

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #47
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

FSM aka not the Hayne's book, correct?

Last question (for now...I really should have formulated all these and posted them at once.)... I'm checking out the Southwest Gear site and I'm not quite sure what to order...I can't find an all out "master rebuild kit" or anything. I'm going to email them, but do you have any input on that?
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #48
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, an FSM is a factory manual and it's the only one to use. Call Nancy at Southwest Gear & tell her what you need. Their site is still undergoing some construction & doesn't list everything. If memory serves me correctly, it's a BK163JWS which means:
Bearing Kit 163 Jeep With Synchronizers

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #49
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuthhound View Post
Fair enough. I'm hoping to be able to do this with my dad, but I doubt that. I'm going to go back through your post and collect a list of tools I need, but is there anything you can suggest?

shop press, pry bars, snap ring pliers, anything else outside of ordinary sockets/wrenches ?
The bearing splitter I bought from Harbor Freight worked good except the inside part, the blade I guess you would call it is about 1/16" thick at the thinnest point. It would have been a lot easier in a few cases if it came to a point. Forget which gear, but there is one that's really tight but I was able to make it after re setting the shaft in the bearing splitter a couple times.

I also bought the Harbor Freight "harmonic dampener" puller to remove 5th gear. I think a better quality puller would have worked better (centering attatchment sucks), either of similar type or a three jaw puller.

The hardest part is re-assembling the shift hubs. Take them off carefully and pay attention to which way the keys are located in the hub and remember to install the retaining rings with the openings rotated 180* from each other.

Put a plastic baggy over any retaining clips you will be removing via the screwdriver method...
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #50
bikepharmer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OK, I was inspired by your tutorial! My 2nd gear synchro is shot (go figure!), and my throw out bearing was chirping like a canary, so I figured it was time to go in and get greasy. Please note my wrenching skills are on the low end of novice (water pump, drive shafts, oil changes, radiator replacement, and other simpler tasks). But, with JF and Mean Max, I concluded it was worth a shot.

I have the main shaft and cluster gear shaft out. My problem at the moment is that when removing 5th gear, the shift collar (is that the right name?) came out and there are two half circular retainer rings and 3 keys that come loose very easily! These spilled out all over the bench, and I can't tell from the photos how they are oriented. I have included a photo from the tutorial to illustrate the piece I am talking about.

Also, should I try and put it back together off the tranny, or is it someting that is easier to do as I put it back together?

Question 2- I pulled hastily pulled the seal from the rear piece of the housing, and I didn't note the orientation. I am assuming the circular spring of the seal faces inward, but just wanted to confirm.

Probably more questions to come, but so far it has been fun!

Thanks!
BP
5th-gear-shift-collar.jpg  
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #51
jambojeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just out of curiosity, are there timing marks on the countershaft and main shaft?
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #52
tryan217
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Max, a few questions for you after reading through your AX-15 rebuild write up a few times. What size press do you have? Is there a specific size for the puller that you were using on the 5th gear assembly after removing the snap ring from the sychro hub, and where did you get it? Is there any pre-lubing involved when rebuilding? I know these might be some newb questions but I'm a first timer and just make sure I get it right.
tryan217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #53
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan217
Max, a few questions for you after reading through your AX-15 rebuild write up a few times. What size press do you have? Is there a specific size for the puller that you were using on the 5th gear assembly after removing the snap ring from the sychro hub, and where did you get it? Is there any pre-lubing involved when rebuilding? I know these might be some newb questions but I'm a first timer and just make sure I get it right.
I'm not Max, but I used a 20 ton press which is way more than enough. I also bought the large bearing pulled from harbor freight (like $20 I think?). I did pack my bearings with white lithium grease. Didn't make any sense to me to rebuild it and run it metal-on-metal until enough lube got worked into them... Sounds like your setting yourself up for failure like that! Something else you can use as a rebuild lube is the Lucas Oil Additive. Sticky enough to stay in place but will mix into whatever trans fluid you use.

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #54
webweyes
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had to rebuild the AX5 transmission in my '92 Wrangler this past spring. It was grinding bad going into 3rd gear and sometimes 2nd gear. I tried the syncomesh fluid route and it didnt help. Next was to replace the synchros. If you need to go that route, I tried to document some information on the website below. It has some videos and AX5 teardown manuals that helped me do the whole thing myself. The procedure for the AX5 and AX15 are almost identical so you can still use the information if you have an AX15. Hope it helps somebody. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.diystew.com/transmission/
webweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #55
mcmopar
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I also am courious of the placement of the spring clips and the 3 little pieces. I have 2 different types in the tranny, and do not rember the placement of them. Does any body have pics or a place to see where they go.
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #56
Partsmanal

AX15 Rebuild

Help!
Just finished the ax15.Followed pictures etc. Can't get any shifting now that it's
finished.Original problem was balky shifting into 1st and 2nd. Now on the bench I
can't get anything to move.Mainshaft and cluster gear spin free, trans is in neutral won't shift into any gears. Double checked shift rod lever etc. Have it on the bench with the case off again and none of the shift mechanism wants to move.Any ideas what I could have done wrong?
Partsmanal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #57
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check your shift forks. If you have any of them switched around, they could be causing some binding.... ??

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

Unread 04-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #58
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I cant seem to find the link. Can someone link me the original rebuild thread?

Also, I'm planning on swapping from automatic to manual. Max, do you think I should rebuild it while it's already out? I'm leaning towards yes, but there's no point in wasting money if it's unnecessary.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #59
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot
I cant seem to find the link. Can someone link me the original rebuild thread?

Also, I'm planning on swapping from automatic to manual. Max, do you think I should rebuild it while it's already out? I'm leaning towards yes, but there's no point in wasting money if it's unnecessary.
You're askin the same question I asked my brother when I dropped my trans for my stroker build... His response made a lot of sense.

"You're asking if you should replace the synchro rings and bearings in the trans while it's out? The two most common issues with a manual transmission.... Why WOULDN'T you? It's about $300 for piece of mind even if they ARE in good shape after 150k miles. And that's an IF!"

I say rip it apart. It's a simple rebuild. Plus you'll learn a lot about it by going through it. Just be gentle when pulling the synchro rings and the engagement gears (not sure what they are called) with the round springs and "feet". They can be a pain to get them back to how they ate supposed to sit.

Unread 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #60
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

And here's the original thread...

Clicky Clicky

Tags
transmission , rebuild , ax-15 , repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.