Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #31
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Max,
What would you estimate as YOUR time for doing the rebuild, not including removal and installation from the Jeep? I can figure out MY time based on your estimate.
Thanks!

Last edited by Supertrey; 10-12-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Supertrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #32
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrey View Post
Max,
What would you estimate as YOUR time for doing the rebuild, not including removal and installation from the Jeep? I can figure out MY time based on your estimate.
Thanks!
I pretty much take my time, if all goes well I can be done in about 6 hours or so. This includes breaks, and cleaning up the cases etc.

It could probably be done in half that time, but I'm doing this for fun so I really don't enjoy it if I rush.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #33
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That helps a lot. My wife always multiplies the time I say it should take by 3, so that puts me in the 18 hour range!

Thanks!
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #34
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

One other question, is there anything in the transmission you recommend replacing besides what is include in the kit from Southwest Gear? Such as synchronizer assemblies (hub and slider), needle bearings, or fork?

If any other items are worth doing just to be on the safe side, now would be the time!
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #35
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrey View Post
One other question, is there anything in the transmission you recommend replacing besides what is include in the kit from Southwest Gear? Such as synchronizer assemblies (hub and slider), needle bearings, or fork?

If any other items are worth doing just to be on the safe side, now would be the time!
Actually most everything is covered in the kit, but there are some items you can add.

The oil seal in the shift tower.

Also check the cap in the shifter tip.

The 1-2 syncronizer sleeve. (because of the worn outer teeth for Reverse gear)

And the reverse idler gear, also due to worn teeth.

When shifting into Reverse gear it's common to have grinding. As the teeth wear on the 1-2 syncro sleeve & idler gear the grinding worsens.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #36
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent! I will round those up as well. Thanks for your help Max.
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #37
Buzzstrike
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Max, thanks for the pictorial breakdown on the AX-15.

Two questions.

1. Just how much pressure is needed to take off the 1-2 syncro hub. My 12 ton press is not moving it. (yes the snap ring has been removed) Damn thing is not moving.
ETA: I sneeked it in to work. Used the 50 ton air/pnumatic. That made it move. Guess it was stuck.

2. Have you seen bits of syncro keys (broken in half) at the bottom of the case. I found two out of three of the 3-4 syncro keys in that condition, along with a missing key spring? What would be the cause of that failure.

Bought a used trans with unknown problems. All that was said is that the oil was very "glittery" and was only a few ounces. All of the syncro's are toast, and every thing else like the syncro sleves, just needed to be deburred, and look good. All tolerances via the FRM are in spec.

The rules of life.
1) Life is NOT fair.
2) Stupidity SHOULD be painfull.
3) Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Buzzstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #38
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzstrike View Post
Max, thanks for the pictorial breakdown on the AX-15.

Two questions.

1. Just how much pressure is needed to take off the 1-2 syncro hub. My 12 ton press is not moving it. (yes the snap ring has been removed) Damn thing is not moving.
ETA: I sneeked it in to work. Used the 50 ton air/pnumatic. That made it move. Guess it was stuck.
Even after doing quite a number of rebuilds, that part always scares me. I really feel like I'm about to break something!

2. Have you seen bits of syncro keys (broken in half) at the bottom of the case. I found two out of three of the 3-4 syncro keys in that condition, along with a missing key spring? What would be the cause of that failure.
IMO, it probably all started with a severely worn/damaged 3rd or 4th gear syncro. this allows the key to get jammed up on the syncro where it shouldn't be (out of the key cut-out on the syncro) which typically "locks" it in gear. LOTS of force applied to the shifter breaks the key, then the circlip/spring falls out.

Bought a used trans with unknown problems. All that was said is that the oil was very "glittery" and was only a few ounces. All of the syncro's are toast, and every thing else like the syncro sleves, just needed to be deburred, and look good. All tolerances via the FRM are in spec.
Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #39
Buzzstrike
1996 XJ Cherokee 

NOOOOO....

How in the hell do you crack the 5th gear synco hub

I follow the directions, took my time. I go to shift in 5th gear. NOTHING.

STUCK....

Take it all back apart. Tapped the syncro ring off of the hub.

Found the crack in one of the key channels. I don't think that was there before?

WTF???

Any one got a spare one laying around? anyone?

ETA: Well I found out WHY it happened.

Note: No4 synchro will NOT interchange with No.5. The cone of the synchro will not fit. damitdamnitdamnitdamnitdamnit. I just cost myself about another 150 bucks (well from Qtek) for a new gear assy, and I still have to get a clutch assy. FUUUUUDDDDGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE...........

doh...

The rules of life.
1) Life is NOT fair.
2) Stupidity SHOULD be painfull.
3) Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Buzzstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #40
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzstrike View Post
NOOOOO....

How in the hell do you crack the 5th gear synco hub

I follow the directions, took my time. I go to shift in 5th gear. NOTHING.

STUCK....

Take it all back apart. Tapped the syncro ring off of the hub.

Found the crack in one of the key channels. I don't think that was there before?

WTF???

Any one got a spare one laying around? anyone?

ETA: Well I found out WHY it happened.

Note: No4 synchro will NOT interchange with No.5. The cone of the synchro will not fit. damitdamnitdamnitdamnitdamnit. I just cost myself about another 150 bucks (well from Qtek) for a new gear assy, and I still have to get a clutch assy. FUUUUUDDDDGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE...........

doh...
If you look at all your syncros you will notice that on 1 of the 5 it appears to have 2 small teeth, just barely visable. That is the 5th gear syncro.
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #41
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Max, There seems to be a lot of debate about fluids. Synthetics vs motor oil vs gear lube, etc . About to put in the freshly rebuilt unit, what fluid do you use?
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #42
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrey
Max, There seems to be a lot of debate about fluids. Synthetics vs motor oil vs gear lube, etc . About to put in the freshly rebuilt unit, what fluid do you use?
I use conventional 10W-30 motor oil. There is a lot of debate on this subject, but it's what I use & have used for 60,000 miles since I rebuilt it.

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #43
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Mean Max, How many hours would you say the rebuild took?

My AX-15 seems to have something that feels like it's banging around when I put the clutch in. I can feel it in the shifter, and can hear it too. It's sort of a light banging (only ever seems to bang 3 times) like something is coming loose but hasn't fully separated yet. My Tranny mount looks good, but my engine mounts are shot. Think it's time for a rebuild?
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #44
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

For the first timers, I would plan on having it apart a few days. I know that sounds bad, but there are a lot of things you'll have to learn the hard way and this will cost you some time. Also plan on "backing up" a time or two because you missed something along the way. That's just how it goes.

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 04-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #45
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fair enough. I'm hoping to be able to do this with my dad, but I doubt that. I'm going to go back through your post and collect a list of tools I need, but is there anything you can suggest?

shop press, pry bars, snap ring pliers, anything else outside of ordinary sockets/wrenches ?
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
transmission , rebuild , ax-15 , repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.