JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/major-repair-mean-maxs-ax-15-rebuild-question-thread-1067696/)

YJake 05-14-2010 11:31 PM

Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!!

I have some pics from when I did mine Max, if you need any more, which I doubt lol.

Jake :tea:

Cobra Jeep 05-15-2010 08:43 AM

You did the same as I did with the shift rails. When I rebuilt mine a few years ago, everything I read said to remove the shift rails and all the balls. But after I got it apart I didnt see any reason I couldnt leave them in. So I did like you and just unbolted the forks from the rails and slid them off with the mainshaft. A lot easyer!

Mean Max 05-15-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep (Post 9464962)
You did the same as I did with the shift rails. When I rebuilt mine a few years ago, everything I read said to remove the shift rails and all the balls. But after I got it apart I didnt see any reason I couldnt leave them in. So I did like you and just unbolted the forks from the rails and slid them off with the mainshaft. A lot easyer!

There are plenty of places to get info on rebuilding, and some do say to remove the shift rails. But the FSM states that you can leave them alone, unless your repair addresses a shift rail issue.

Max :cheers2:

waterlovr 06-01-2010 02:38 PM

I have an issue with my ax-15 grinding even when I'm in neutral, and also getting stuck in gears or hard to shift into gear. Do you think I need a total rebuild?

Mean Max 06-01-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlovr (Post 9555884)
I have an issue with my ax-15 grinding even when I'm in neutral, and also getting stuck in gears or hard to shift into gear. Do you think I need a total rebuild?

I think you probably have a bad input shaft bearing, as in the pic below.

I just rebuilt an AX-5 that had the same issue. To answer your question, yes a full rebuild is in order.

Max :cheers2:

Flyordie 06-26-2010 02:42 AM

I don't have the same transmission model as whats in the thread but a question for a guy who has worked on a transmission that is similar.

Problem- After running for for 1-2 minutes in neutral... I can shift 1-4th just fine. However, I have to hold the clutch in longer before I can put it in reverse (or else when I try to put it in reverse it will grind the gears). Transmission drives fine, 1-4 do great. Its just that one little issue I have noticed that was not present on my dads 2004 Mustang.

I am draining the trannie and transfer case fluid tomorrow and replacing it with new stuff. The phosphate free type from Valvoline as I hear phosphates can eat away at the synchro's.

Any idea what it could be?

topgun6969 06-26-2010 03:47 AM

mean max makes me want to move to florida

Karma 06-26-2010 07:05 AM

HI Max,
Great thread and great picture show.

I recently faced a decision concerning my internal slave AX15 with a bad 3rd gear synchronizer and 80K miles. There is no doubt that a complete rebuild was the only thing that made sense and I would have wanted to convert to an external slave.

When I added up the costs, the rebuild and conversion was the way to go. But when I added up the effort, another solution suggested itself. I took the cowards way out and decided to convert to an NV3550. I really did not want to rebuild. I needed the Jeep on the road.

I do agree that it is a great project. If I could have done the rebuild with a spare tranny, I would have taken that route. But I didn't so I didn't.

BTW, my old AX15 is being donated to a friend of a friend who is going to do the same thing you have. He will have a easier time. Mine has not been out in the weather for years. I am going to refer him to this thread for reference information. I have it saved in my Favorites list. He is looking at the job as a project.

I think your thread should be a chapter in the Beginners Guide to Jeep Mechanics (of course, this book doesn't exist but it should). Many, many inexperienced Jeep shade tree mechanics could learn valuable things from your post, pictures and work methods.

Good job. You have reminded us how a forum can work at its best. Be sure to let us know how it turned out. I'm sure it was a success.

Thanks, Sparky

rustywrangler 06-26-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Max (Post 9463961)
Here is a detailed pic of the passenger side, with the transmission oriented as it would be normally. On the rear side of the intermediate plate, 5th gear resides all alone, accompanied by the shifter assembly.

A small mental note on the project at this point. A friend of mine had his case apart and I suggested that he put it in a bucket and spray the whole thing down with brake cleaner to make tear down a bit cleaner and easier.

It worked really well. We used one of those small concrete mixing trays that are about 8" deep.

Area.3.Fiftyone 06-26-2010 08:11 AM

Kerosene also works really well as a degreaser and is cheap. You could drop the whole thing in a bucket full and keep a lid on it for future use once you are done. You can then follow up with brake clean or similar for a final cleaning.

Max: I have done stuff like this before and have used blocks of 2x material to make holders for bolts and such.

Mark out the wood, drill some holes in the same pattern as what you are taking apart and put the bolts in those holes to keep everything in place.

The idea is similar to the trays we use when taking pushrods, lifters, etc out of a motor and that need to go back in the same holes due to wear.

You are the man when it comes to this kind of transmission stuff and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

:cheers:

RockWoRM 06-26-2010 08:32 AM

Wow!
I can't believe the outside of the case did'nt get all rusty after being out in the weather for so long!!! :eek:

:D

Lol. Ok, I just thought the thread could use a little levity. :laugh:

(how many of you did I get? hehe.)

As always Max, nice pics and write up so far. :thumbsup:

No doubt it will become a sticky at some point. :highfive:

WRM :cheers:

Area.3.Fiftyone 06-30-2010 09:16 PM

Max, I have a question for you.

I tore apart my old AX5 today to see what failed and did not really find anything catastrophic inside. It would hang up in gears, would not go into gear and was really noisy overall. I expected to see some chunks inside when I pulled it apart but the only evident thing was some brass shavings from the synchros.

I may pickup a rebuild kit and put this back together for a spare. My intentions originally were to see what failed and to re-use the rear housing on another AX5 transmission that has the seal in the wrong spot (too deep to mate with a short shaft NP231 - and different clocking).

My question is:

Looking at the output shaft where 5th counter gear is pressed onto it, there is a piece of steel between the gear and the output bearing that is all chewed up and looks like it got stuck in between the 5th gear teeth. Do you have any idea what this flat piece of steel is? I was thinking it was originally part of the output bearing that came loose and got eaten up by 5th gear? There is also a piece of rubber that still remains on the output shaft in the same position. There isn't a seal between 5th counter gear and the output shaft bearing is there?

It's between this gear and the output shaft bearing:

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...5/P1010445.jpg

Also on another note: The internals of the AX5 are nearly identical to the AX15 and I can't see why the AX15 is supposed to be so much better and stronger.

YJake 06-30-2010 09:23 PM

It's a bearing retainer plate. (If you're talking about the plate sitting on the vice to the right in the picture, that bolts to the empty holes shown in your intermediate plate)

Mine was chewed to **** when my 5th gear let loose on me last fall. :(

Jake :tea:

Daisysdaddy 07-06-2010 10:58 AM

Lost 5th gear

I have a 94 YJ. I had an AX15 put in it about a year ago. Shortly there after 5th gear "became" my second Neutral, meaning that the shifter goes into the position but does not have a gear. I have been told that the AX15's are notorious for lossing a "clip" that holds 5th in place. I was told that it can be put back in and welded in place. I am wanting to know what this is and if it is an easy fix.

Thanks
Chad

rustywrangler 07-12-2010 09:28 AM

Major Repair, Mean Max's AX-15 Rebuild QUESTION THREAD!!!!

The point of this thread is for members to ask Mean Max questions, or general questions about the AX-15 rebuild without clogging up the write up itself.

The time now is 10:04 PM.