Major Repair - AX-15 rebuild - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 Old 06-29-2013, 03:13 PM
rambo3489
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,704
A heartfelt THANK YOU for this writeup. Will be undertaking this challenge soon. And this my friend is a life saver.


89 YJ.. My first jeep and I won't let it go. ▀||||▀

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

<a href="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941">BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY</a>
rambo3489 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 Old 06-30-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,734
Hope it helps. I love doing these AX-5 & AX-15 transmissions. They're fun builds, and the results are excellent.

Max

Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline  
post #33 of 44 Old 12-23-2013, 01:30 PM
TennesseeYJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: gallatin
Posts: 264
I see that I'm chiming in a little late on this write up, I just happened to stumble across it. But .. I did want to say that this is a great write-up. Mine has a hard time going into 1st & 5th, sometime jumping out of 5th if I don't hold it for second after releasing the clutch. When I got the poor thing (it was trailer-ed to my dads and I picked it up from there) I drained all the fluids from the engine & tranny to pour in some fresh juice. I only got about a quart and a half from the trans and at least a 1/3 of that was water. I've build many engines in my time, never tore into a tranny ... yet. My AX will be the first as soon as I get the engine back in my Mustang. This write up will be my reference to go by. HUGE THANKS MAX!!

1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ, <-- My Jeep is a pickpocket!!
1984 Mustang GT Top 5-Speed <-- Running soon hopefully
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, 1994 Suzuki Katana 600, 1980 Yamaha XS650 <-- Ripped apart and under the knife .. Chopped, bobbed & mono shocked. I got too many toy$$$!!!
TennesseeYJ is offline  
post #34 of 44 Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeYJ View Post
I see that I'm chiming in a little late on this write up, I just happened to stumble across it. But .. I did want to say that this is a great write-up. Mine has a hard time going into 1st & 5th, sometime jumping out of 5th if I don't hold it for second after releasing the clutch. When I got the poor thing (it was trailer-ed to my dads and I picked it up from there) I drained all the fluids from the engine & tranny to pour in some fresh juice. I only got about a quart and a half from the trans and at least a 1/3 of that was water. I've build many engines in my time, never tore into a tranny ... yet. My AX will be the first as soon as I get the engine back in my Mustang. This write up will be my reference to go by. HUGE THANKS MAX!!
You're welcome!

I'm hoping to be your neighbor one day soon, we're trying to move to Tennessee in the next year or so. Hopefully, somewhere between Knoxville & Chattanooga off of I-75.

Max

Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline  
post #35 of 44 Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 AM
zeus87gn
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hernando, Ms
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I'm hoping to be your neighbor one day soon, we're trying to move to Tennessee in the next year or so. Hopefully, somewhere between Knoxville & Chattanooga off of I-75.

Max
Oooo, beautiful country up there, I'm jealous
I lived in Chattanooga for a couple of years

Edit for tech content: This writeup is excellent - I will be trying a dis-assemble in the near future for what i believe is a small repair

Handicapped license plates are not for mentally handicapped people -

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline  
post #36 of 44 Old 12-28-2013, 01:03 PM
TennesseeYJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: gallatin
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
You're welcome!

I'm hoping to be your neighbor one day soon, we're trying to move to Tennessee in the next year or so. Hopefully, somewhere between Knoxville & Chattanooga off of I-75.

Max
Come on up to Tennessee .. LOL. I like it here. Through out life I've had chances to move to other places. Just can't do it. I'm more in the middle northern part of the state. North of Nashville about 30 miles, about 10 miles south of the Tennessee/Kentucky line. Problem here is that there aren't any places to wheel without a long drive. There are a couple of rock quarries but recently they got bought out and are no marked "No Trespassing". I have family that lives in north eastern Kentucky (Hindman/Hazard KY), you can play for hours and not hit the same trail twice. Love it up there, just no jobs if you aren't into the coal mine or strip mining thing. We (aunts, uncles, friends, my boys, my dad & I) have rode ATV's till daylight into the next day ... camp fires cooking hot dogs and burgers up on the mountains ... LOVE IT!

1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ, <-- My Jeep is a pickpocket!!
1984 Mustang GT Top 5-Speed <-- Running soon hopefully
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, 1994 Suzuki Katana 600, 1980 Yamaha XS650 <-- Ripped apart and under the knife .. Chopped, bobbed & mono shocked. I got too many toy$$$!!!
TennesseeYJ is offline  
post #37 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 PM
TennesseeYJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: gallatin
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
You're welcome!

I'm hoping to be your neighbor one day soon, we're trying to move to Tennessee in the next year or so. Hopefully, somewhere between Knoxville & Chattanooga off of I-75.

Max
Hey Max, any good suggestions as to where to get the rebuild kit? I changed oil again in the tranny this past weekend, found metal slivers on the drain plug. Gonna try to rebuild the engine and tranny sometime this summer ... hopefully

Thanks again

1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ, <-- My Jeep is a pickpocket!!
1984 Mustang GT Top 5-Speed <-- Running soon hopefully
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, 1994 Suzuki Katana 600, 1980 Yamaha XS650 <-- Ripped apart and under the knife .. Chopped, bobbed & mono shocked. I got too many toy$$$!!!
TennesseeYJ is offline  
post #38 of 44 Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Louie4
Jeep Enjuneering
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 10,771
I am curious too. My input shaft has a slight amount of play. I'm sure it should have none but how much is too much? It's not leaking out of the seal so it may be OK especially since I'm putting in a new pilot bearing.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline  
post #39 of 44 Old 02-15-2014, 03:53 AM
straightsixjeep
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ks
Posts: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I am curious too. My input shaft has a slight amount of play. I'm sure it should have none but how much is too much? It's not leaking out of the seal so it may be OK especially since I'm putting in a new pilot bearing.
A "small" amount of play is ok, the pilot bearings helps secure the input shaft once the trans is installed.

This writeup has really made my night. After getting my fill plug a bit to tight instead of the threads giving out, the ax15 case cracked. I am now confident to locate a new front case housing and swap my internals over instead of swapping in a complete trans.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-xj-gettin-her-trail-ready-1417602/
straightsixjeep is offline  
post #40 of 44 Old 02-15-2014, 04:12 AM
Louie4
Jeep Enjuneering
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 10,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
A "small" amount of play is ok, the pilot bearings helps secure the input shaft once the trans is installed.

This writeup has really made my night. After getting my fill plug a bit to tight instead of the threads giving out, the ax15 case cracked. I am now confident to locate a new front case housing and swap my internals over instead of swapping in a complete trans.
That was my feelings about it. A small amount of play is all it was and even then I put a new pilot bearing in so it should provide support. That sucks about your case. I would do the same thing though. That fill plug is a PITA in my opinion. Mine is chewed up quite a bit and it's always a headache getting it loose. I may bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline  
post #41 of 44 Old 02-15-2014, 04:43 AM
straightsixjeep
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ks
Posts: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
That was my feelings about it. A small amount of play is all it was and even then I put a new pilot bearing in so it should provide support. That sucks about your case. I would do the same thing though. That fill plug is a PITA in my opinion. Mine is chewed up quite a bit and it's always a headache getting it loose. I may bite the bullet and buy a new one.
I have read quite a few threads on multiple sites about the input shaft play, It sounds like your in the clear with your minimal play.

I have been in the habit of checking all my fluids several times a month, I learned my lesson when it comes to working with aluminum. No ax15's on CL and the local junkyards want over $500. I can pick up a front case/housing for around $75 then easily swap everything over. I have been wanting to pull the trans again to throw out the perfection clutch and install a luk.

As far as a full rebuild, other than hand tools the only specialty tools would be a press and bearing splitter. You may be better off sourcing a relatively low miles ax15 close to you for a replacement then work on a complete rebuild of the ax15 you pull out. You will save a few bucks but if you don't have the time and your willing to pay then a reman unit would be nice.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-xj-gettin-her-trail-ready-1417602/
straightsixjeep is offline  
post #42 of 44 Old 02-15-2014, 04:48 AM
Louie4
Jeep Enjuneering
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 10,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
I have read quite a few threads on multiple sites about the input shaft play, It sounds like your in the clear with your minimal play.

I have been in the habit of checking all my fluids several times a month, I learned my lesson when it comes to working with aluminum. No ax15's on CL and the local junkyards want over $500. I can pick up a front case/housing for around $75 then easily swap everything over. I have been wanting to pull the trans again to throw out the perfection clutch and install a luk.

As far as a full rebuild, other than hand tools the only specialty tools would be a press and bearing splitter. You may be better off sourcing a relatively low miles ax15 close to you for a replacement then work on a complete rebuild of the ax15 you pull out. You will save a few bucks but if you don't have the time and your willing to pay then a reman unit would be nice.
If I could find an AX-15 on CL I would buy it and rebuild mine but since the fill plug is the only crap part on it I will just get the $8 plug from the dealer and keep my eyes peeled. My AX-15 has over 300K miles so it may be due for a rebuild.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline  
post #43 of 44 Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 AM
straightsixjeep
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ks
Posts: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
If I could find an AX-15 on CL I would buy it and rebuild mine but since the fill plug is the only crap part on it I will just get the $8 plug from the dealer and keep my eyes peeled. My AX-15 has over 300K miles so it may be due for a rebuild.
If that is all you need then it sounds like you have it planned out. Id like to find the hex/allen key fill plugs instead of the 24mm bolt head plugs that round off extremely easy. Glad to hear you have 300k+ miles on your ax15, that is music to my ears. Nice build btw, checking it out now.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-xj-gettin-her-trail-ready-1417602/
straightsixjeep is offline  
post #44 of 44 Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 AM
Louie4
Jeep Enjuneering
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 10,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
If that is all you need then it sounds like you have it planned out. Id like to find the hex/allen key fill plugs instead of the 24mm bolt head plugs that round off extremely easy. Glad to hear you have 300k+ miles on your ax15, that is music to my ears. Nice build btw, checking it out now.
Thanks. My 4.0L has the same. I did swap out a cylinder head from a '91 XJ but it had about the same miles as my YJ at the time. I was having machine work done and the XJ head was already on a shelf in the basement.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline  
Reply

Tags
ax-15 , pics , pictorial , rebuild , tear down , write-up

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
yo rebuild or not to rebuild that is thi question njdpb22 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 22 12-01-2010 07:07 PM
Rust Repair!~ Bad Idea? Fiberglass Repair tirogers YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 18 02-16-2010 07:06 PM
Jeep Engine to Rebuild or Not to Rebuild booyia TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 31 10-02-2009 12:16 PM
major boo boo blamejane2 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 12-14-2008 01:36 PM
YJ major rebuild barney9393 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 07-12-2006 06:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome