Major Repair - AX-15 rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Major Repair - AX-15 rebuild

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Max,

I have a question for you regarding the AX-5 2nd gear and hub. There is no snap ring on the AX-5 hub like there is on the AX-15. But I pressed on 2nd gear last night and could not get the hub to budge off the splines. Is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Daren

djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

all i can say is WOW
makes me want to buy an ax 15, rebuild and put it in my 88. if i do do that one day i WILL fallow this step by step
thanks
Unread 09-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to give another thanks to Max for this write up. It was invaluable during my AX-5 rebuild.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmith1174 View Post
Just wanted to give another thanks to Max for this write up. It was invaluable during my AX-5 rebuild.
Thanks for the kind words!

The AX-5 & AX-15 are almost identical, so much of the info will help with the AX-5 as you already know.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
lonepunker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

wow...... good work can you do mine? I'll give you a nice new crispy dollar bill!
Unread 02-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #21
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted to say Thanks!
I followed your directions, and have everything back together except for putting the cases on. Not taking the shifting arms out saves time! I read these steps 6 times then was able to do it all from memory, I only printed off the pictures of the parts breakdown so I could make sure I had all parts in the right order.
Thanks again!
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
boybadone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Max! I am considering rebuilding my AX-15 this summer and this will be invaluable.
boybadone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
smartt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First I just wanted to say let you know how much this thread helped with my rebuild. Secondly I would like to add some points as I just completed my rebuild and found some easier/different ways to do things.

-When lowering the transmission while still attached to the engine, you may lower the transmission down alot further than 3". I had mine down about 8" which makes access to the top two torx bolts much easier.
-Once the torx bolts are removed, my recommendation is to just reinstall regular bolts in the top two locations on the bell housing. This makes for an easier removal in the future.
-The most helpfull thing that I found out during the process of this rebuild was that once the bearings are removed from the shafts using a press, they DO NOT need to be pressed back on. The easiest way to reinstall any of the bearings or gears that you have to press off is to simply heat them with a torch. Heat the inner ring of the bearing, making sure not to heat to much of the outside directly, as many of the bearings have not metal pieces. When the bearing is good and hot simply put on some gloves and slide the bearing in place. You want to let mother nature work for you.

Hope this helps someone, as I just finished my tranny rebuild this weekend.
smartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
Eloranta95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

AX 15 rebuild of my own

Hey there, a few months back i bought a 95 yj and was driving along one day in second gear when i heard a loud clunk and from that moment on the shifter was stuck in neutral position, wouldnt even grind when i tryed to put it into gear.
Luckily i had a 93 yj sitting in the backyard with same motor and trans. It took me two days to do the swap and once i had her in place, the thing ran beautifully. Now(three months later), me and my buddy decided we should take the old one apart and see what went wrong.
I am very excited to see what you have posted here, and i will be documenting mine as well.
Do you have any ideas to what may have gone wrong inside this thing?
Eloranta95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
patnewk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Max, thanks for this thread. Mine is looking at a rebuild in the near future and this will help greatly. 1st and 2nd do fine shifting, but I grind when shifting to 3rd and 4th and on the rare cases 5th unless I hold in on the clutch for afew secs. looks like i still need to get a couple tools. I liked how you told the sizes of the wrenches and such. thanks again
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #26
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just used this to take mine apart. Lets see if I can get it back together when my parts come in.
Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #27
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got mine back together. It went too easy. I was expecting something to go wrong.
Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #28
JeepProblems

2000 TJ Wrangler 

hey there, great write up! just finished putting my ax5 back together but it wont shift with the case on >:| any ideas?

do i have something flipped around? i followed step by step putting each detent balls and springs back in their homes..
wp_20130330_001.jpg   wp_20130330_002.jpg  
JeepProblems is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #29
JeepProblems

2000 TJ Wrangler 

also, havent really used any lube other than petro jelly on the rails and balls/pins. the only oil i used was pen synchromesh on the needle bearings. could this be why its not shifting? it shifts just fine with the case off though..
JeepProblems is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #30
kbson
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After I zipped mine back up after doing the rebuild I was having the same problem when I was trying to test shift it on the bench...or at least I thought I was having a problem. I thought the same thing as you--maybe a detent ball in the wrong place or something. I was about to open it all up again, when I decided to think on it for a while. After a couple of hours my brain clicked. I was trying to move the shift rails incorrectly. There was nothing wrong with the transmission. I was sticking a socket extension in where the shifter goes and trying to simulate the motion that I normally use when shifting with the shifter. Don't know if I can explain it in words, but I was trying to tilt the socket extension like a lever but I needed to push/slide it straight forward or backward (no bending my wrist). Then it worked--because that's the way it is supposed to work Maybe you are smarter than I was, but that was my problem. Also it takes considerable force to shift it when using something short (like a socket extension).
kbson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ax-15 , pics , pictorial , rebuild , tear down , write-up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.