Major Oil Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Major Oil Leak

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
thunderstar99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Major Oil Leak

I was hoping someone here could help me out. I have a major oil leak on thre lower passenger side of the engine block. I wish I knew how to put a pic on here but will try to decribe it the best I can. There is a pipe(?) coming out and then it y's there is a black piece that sticks straight up toward the hood that has a single wire. The other side of the Y has another piece coming out and has two wires connected to it that is where my leak is located. I looked in the haynes manual and could find nothing. Stopped by Advance Auto Parts and they said that it was the oil pressure sensor. What they g=had looked like the piece sticking straight up to the hood. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get this fixed before I go to Afghanistan so the wife doesnt have to worry about it. Again thank you for your help
P.S. almost forgot 1990 4.2L I6

thunderstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstar99 View Post
I was hoping someone here could help me out. I have a major oil leak on thre lower passenger side of the engine block. I wish I knew how to put a pic on here but will try to decribe it the best I can. There is a pipe(?) coming out and then it y's there is a black piece that sticks straight up toward the hood that has a single wire. The other side of the Y has another piece coming out and has two wires connected to it that is where my leak is located. I looked in the haynes manual and could find nothing. Stopped by Advance Auto Parts and they said that it was the oil pressure sensor. What they g=had looked like the piece sticking straight up to the hood. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get this fixed before I go to Afghanistan so the wife doesnt have to worry about it. Again thank you for your help
P.S. almost forgot 1990 4.2L I6
The one that is pointed up is the oil pressure sending unit. The one that points sideways is the oil pressure switch.

The OEM # I find for the OPSU is 5300 5218.
The OEM # I have for the OPS is J575 8695.

Good luck and keep safe!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Top right diagram sounds like what your describing, ^ like stated above sending unit and switch. Advance auto should have both I got both mine from there pretty cheap.
oilpsi.gif  
HEMI Club Member #48
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
thunderstar99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the reply. I am still figuring my jeep out and trying to learn as I go. I am really appreciative of all the help I have gotten on this forum. William
thunderstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You are welcomed! Forums work so well because many of us have some knowledge about some things to use or share.....but our significant others usually don't think we know crap about anything!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Peanuts89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i swear mine is leaking fro wher distributor mounts to motor. i it bubble there at cold start and drip spot is right below....was told it was sending unit or switch but diagram from above says otherwise. leak comes from above oil filter ..filter is new and leak was ther b4 oil change and with old filter. gy at valvoline told me to put a handfull of sawdust into the engine to "gum up" the leaks....sound like not a good idea. any thoughts on my leak? HELP! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Peanuts89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

sawdust FTW

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts89yj View Post
i swear mine is leaking fro wher distributor mounts to motor. i it bubble there at cold start and drip spot is right below....was told it was sending unit or switch but diagram from above says otherwise. leak comes from above oil filter ..filter is new and leak was ther b4 oil change and with old filter. gy at valvoline told me to put a handfull of sawdust into the engine to "gum up" the leaks....sound like not a good idea. any thoughts on my leak? HELP! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Therer is a gasket on the distributor flange. It could be broken or missing.

Check your PCV system. If it is working properly and you have the proper amount of vacuum (engine properly tuned), you should not be leaking there.
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
bioman

Check the distrib seal and if you still have the problem check the pcv. You may be pressuring your crank case a bit. But I think the distrib seal from what I hear.
Bioman
bioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Peanuts89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I also think I should mention that I dont think the vaccuum lines for the 4wd r hooked up. And the hose that comes off the air intake on the top of the head closest to the radiator, that fits loosely, looks like silicone dried and it cracked. Guy I bought from did the MPI kit w/ 4.2 block 4,0 HO head etc. never swapped tac to correct voltage so i have no tac. And honestly i have never needed to put it in 4wd. where I go in N.H. is dry and rocky, no real steep stuff.. And i am assuming if i had a spun bearing not letting oil pass it would pour out rear main seal at crank, not at dist seal. Working on my harley seems way easier...lol
Peanuts89yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.