Major Oil Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Major Oil Leak

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Reply
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
gnarboots
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chico
Posts: 8
Major Oil Leak

My 88 YJ is leaking a lot of oil. Driving down the road or at a stop sign I can see a lot of smoke from the oil dripping onto the exhaust. From underneath it looks like it is coming from somewhere above, dripping onto the tranny near the oil pan and back on one of the skid plates, but cant quite tell where it is coming from, but there seems to be more oil on the passenger side... The oil sending unit looked fine and the valve cover seal doesn't look like it is leaking much, if anything at all. Does anyone know of anything that commonly leaks with these models. It is a completely stock 258 with a newly installed Weber. Thanks for reading!

gnarboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,465
Degrease, pressure/steam wash & reinspect.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
JPRatYJ
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kennesaw Georgia
Posts: 218
FIRST i would clean it just like Joe Dillard said then I would make sure your pcv system is working and if its not theres your problem... but the damage could already be done and you would wind up having to replace almost every gasket...(oil pan, rear main, valve cover, pcv gromlets) I just had to do this to mine after i did the weber 3 months ago...
__________________
/l ,[_____], 1990 YJ 4.2 Weber 34
l---L -[]lllllll[]- 4in Rustys, 3in body, 1.25 Shackles
()_) ()_)--o-)_) 33 Kumo's M/T and smittybilt tube fenders -----Johnny Rat-----
JPRatYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
pasinbuy
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 3,844
I will never pressure wash my motor, you may or most likely will do more damage. Buy about two to three cans of engine degrease spray and clean everything well. Rinse, Then inspect that everything is perfectly clean, reapply if needed, scrub heavy spots with a brush or rag, Rinse, Dry or let dry. Then drive about one mile, let it cool, then look or feel around. Find your leak.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I will never pressure wash my motor, you may or most likely will do more damage. Buy about two to three cans of engine degrease spray and clean everything well. Rinse, Then inspect that everything is perfectly clean, reapply if needed, scrub heavy spots with a brush or rag, Rinse, Dry or let dry. Then drive about one mile, let it cool, then look or feel around. Find your leak.
Why ?
Many folks do it all the time. A little common sense goes a long way.
This one has been pressure washed many a time.

This YJ (mine spends most of it`s time off road playing in the mud.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
gnarboots
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chico
Posts: 8
Yesterday I began degreasing most of of the engine but ran out of daylight. So today I will continue and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the tips guys, I will post anything I figure out.
gnarboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
gnarboots
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chico
Posts: 8
If I haven't properly plugged off and removed a lot of the vacuum lines and hoses for the old carter, will the PCV system work okay?
gnarboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
GRYDE001
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Why ?
Many folks do it all the time. A little common sense goes a long way.
This one has been pressure washed many a time.

This YJ (mine spends most of it`s time off road playing in the mud.
wow, that's one good looking engine bay!!

I use simple green on my engine. Let it sit for a few and wash off with a garden hose and it looks 100% cleaner. I've got a small oil leak too. I cleaned my CCV system and that seemed to help matters some.

also, check your oil sending unit, I've read that they are prone to break and leak.
__________________
""Leave it stock, it will live longer. Just understand that its never gonna be as fast as a minivan""
GRYDE001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
pasinbuy
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Why ?
Many folks do it all the time. A little common sense goes a long way.
This one has been pressure washed many a time. This YJ (mine spends most of it`s time off road playing in the mud.
[
It is too easy to damage a seal or a gasket. Forget common sence accidants happen with a pressure washer and a motor. I run pressure washing crews in my business so I do know how to do it if I wanted to. And with that knowledge I will not pressure wash a motor. It is too easy to make a mistake and a little degreaser and water from the hose nozzle does the same job and even better.

By the way from the looks of your setup, I doubt that you spend allot of time in the mud, also considering what you did to me in another thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...t-mod-1077482/ and the names that you called me. I would prefer that you do not respond to my threads or replies in the future.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
It is too easy to damage a seal or a gasket. Forget common sence accidants happen with a pressure washer and a motor. I run pressure washing crews in my business so I do know how to do it if I wanted to. And with that knowledge I will not pressure wash a motor. It is too easy to make a mistake and a little degreaser and water from the hose nozzle does the same job and even better.

By the way from the looks of your setup, I doubt that you spend allot of time in the mud, also considering what you did to me in another thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...t-mod-1077482/ and the names that you called me. I would prefer that you do not respond to my threads or replies in the future.
Sorry but you are wrong. I even use the YJ for bogging. It all boils down to how much care, attention and detail you are willing to spend.

Too bad if you think I am pissing in your Cheerios. Your opinion differs from many others.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
pasinbuy
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Sorry but you are wrong. I even use the YJ for bogging. It all boils down to how much care, attention and detail you are willing to spend.

To bad if you think I am pissing in your Cheerios. Your opinion differs from many others.
Dude I looked over at you replies to others on this Forum and you are a jerk. Not just to me but to everyone... I see where you call other Forum member clowns, stupid, dumb, etc. It seems that you spend allot of time insulting the people on this Forum and then asking to see their girlfriends.. I for one have been one of your victims of your name calling.

Please go away, You are the only person that acts this way on this Forum.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Dude I looked over at you replies to others on this Forum and you are a jerk. Not just to me but to everyone... I see where you call other Forum member clowns, stupid, dumb, etc. It seems that you spend allot of time insulting the people on this Forum and then asking to see their girlfriends.. I for one have been one of your victims of your name calling.

Please go away, You are the only person that acts this way on this Forum.
Call it like I see it. If someone deserves to be insulted for lack of the most basic common sense then so be it.

My alternator caught on fire.........Is this normal ?............

Now you are telling me how I wheel my Jeep. How do you know ?

To the OP.
On the passenger side, back of the block, just below the head is a tapped in plug. This plug used is to cover the machining of the block for the camshaft.
While not to common, this plug has been known to leak. Often times the cam will ever so slightly walk back and touch this plug. Ultimately wearing a hole in the plug and causing an oil leak as you describe. You might want to check this.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
gnarboots
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chico
Posts: 8
Thanks I will have a look see tomorrow if I get the time. It does seem like it's coming from somewhere back behind the head and maybe running down the block where I can't see anything, couldn't accomplish much today though...
gnarboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
Can we get this train wreck back on topic here.............
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
taormina92
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glendale
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Why ?
Many folks do it all the time. A little common sense goes a long way.
This one has been pressure washed many a time.

This YJ (mine spends most of it`s time off road playing in the mud.
That's sweet, dude. My engine bay looks that clean except not that fancy with all the blue hose. I can't believe how people post pics up of dirty engine bays regular here....don't people know that a clean engine bay is the first step in diagnosing an engine problem......all leaks and their sources are therefore obvious!
taormina92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
oil leaking

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.