Major issues what to do?!?!? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Major issues what to do?!?!?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 03-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #46
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Never knew fuel pumps and injectors and coils were included in the preventative maintenance schedule. I got some work to do!

You could get that 4 banger ironed out. Pull it and sell it, there is your I6 cash.

whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #47
Tnjeeper89

They aren't but considering all the issues I was having at that I said to heck with it. I needed the new fuel pump it was bad. Only reason I replaced the injector was it was rusted were the connectors plug on to it. Coil wise same thing it looked beat half to death and the outer case was cracked. It may seem like craziness or just throwing parts at it but in reality it was trying to make sure the thing was going to be dependable.
Tnjeeper89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #48
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So the fuel pump quit working and now the new one doesn't work? Strange.

Anyway... I thought my 89 was carbureted when I bought it. It is actually ECM controlled carbureted. The PO just unhooked all the sensors. So it has an ECM...

So maybe good idea to brief up on the engine stamping codes so you know exactly what your getting when you get your I6. Mine is 909CL29. I think the "CL" signifies the computer controlled carb, but don't quote me on that.
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #49
Tnjeeper89

Thanks for that info whiskey. That will help a lot I know I can do a nutter bypass after I get it installed and working. But again thanks for the info
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #50
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy85 View Post
I like mine, but I run a Weber. They are easy to tune and run well. I have been thinking about the new Holley off road barc that is out, can't remember the name right off. It is hard to justify spending money on a new carb though when what I have does the job very well.
THIS is the one. Motorcraft! I went to buy parts from a guy off craigslist and he had a really nice built CJ with one of these on it. Said he was rebuilding the weber/carter whatever it was every 6 mos. Said he was running this going on 2 years like a champ. Loved it. Here is the link. I was considering going this route, but like I said, decided on tbi.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MotorCra...d93ea0&vxp=mtr
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #51
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnjeeper89 View Post
Thanks for that info whiskey. That will help a lot I know I can do a nutter bypass after I get it installed and working. But again thanks for the info
Let us know any progress on that 4 banger.
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #52
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have a power issue. The ignition and battery feed at the ecu need to be checked. If you needed a manual pm me. The fact that you have no fuel or spark means the ecu is not initializing.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #53
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lookey what I found.
computer.jpg

computer2.jpg

Unread 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #54
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz View Post
THIS is the one. Motorcraft! I went to buy parts from a guy off craigslist and he had a really nice built CJ with one of these on it. Said he was rebuilding the weber/carter whatever it was every 6 mos. Said he was running this going on 2 years like a champ. Loved it. Here is the link. I was considering going this route, but like I said, decided on tbi.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MotorCra...d93ea0&vxp=mtr
Yep - that is a very common swap for the carter. Although, I have heard of some folks having issues with them when they receive them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #55
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's a sbec he has a renix controller. Nice ecu though. Where did you get it?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #56
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Aw, too bad. I was going to offer it to him for free on the condition that he first diagnose and confirm that it is in fact the ecu at fault.

It's out of the '95 (I believe) replacement tub that I picked up. Got most of the under dash harness too I believe. What's it worth? Prices are all over the place on ebay.
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #57
Tnjeeper89

Ecu is at fault pulled dash after work tonight and pulled the ecu out opened it up and it had what I called a burnt spot on the board inside. I had my buddy test it for me. He is a certified jeep mechanic He said it is dead. On a good note though he has a 4.0 out of a Cherokee along with a ax15 that he is gonna let me have for little or nothing I just have to help him pull the motor and trans. He's gonna let me use his shop since dad's 57 Chevy is being tore down in our garage right now. Thanks for the help guys maybe this 4.0 swap won't be to bad and I won't end up back in the Stone Age with a carb after all. Again thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.