Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Maintenance required light..Whats up with that??

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  YJWOLF 
#1 ·
Hey Jeepers, my maintenance required light on my dash is on and has been for a while. The jeep is a 92 yj 2.5 with approx. 170 kms. on it .. Ive heard that this light will pop up after 150 k's. Any truth to that?? Just gave her a major tune up and such but the damn thing is still there. Thinkin of pullin the bulb from the dash..Yikes!! Thanks for yur help guys.. :wave:

#2 ·
Normally the light indicates a problem with emissions. It could be something as simple as a disconnected vacuum line, a bad O2 sensor, etc.

IMO disconnecting the light will cause no harm, as the problem is probably not serious. If you live somewhere where they do vehicle inspections, and they test your emissions, then you may have a problem.

If I'mway off base, I'm sure someone will correct me... :thumbsup:

#3 ·
At 82,500 miles the engine light will come on as a sign to replace the 02 sensor. Not sure on how many KM's that is, but it could be just that. Or more likely that something isn't sitting right with your jeep after that "major" tune up. If you did something like put in a lower Tstat or something the engine light might come on. Check your codes, disconnect battery and reconnect, drive it, and check for codes. that should be a good indication of if any problem is there.

My light never came on though at 82500 miles so not real sure what to tell you.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure all the maintenance required light is for is to tell you to change the O2 sensor at some set milage. When the light comes on it doesn't mean the O2 sensor is bad, it means the sensor should be changed because that is the recomendation from the factory. The check engine light will tell you when there is a problem with any of the sensors including the O2 sensor. So if you don't want to bother with it right now either ignore the light, pull the bulb, or bring it to the dealer to have it reset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.