Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

maintenance required light please help

17K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Cruise_Missile 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 jeep wrangler and the maintenance required light is on . What causes that and how do you reset it

#7 ·
They will usually use a high dollar scan tool to reset it. Should be cheap at the dealer though, as it takes less than 5 minutes to do.

If it were me, I would probably ditch the timer.

Drew

#8 ·
drew2000 said:
The 'timer' is is actually software in the ECM on my old '93 4 cyl. It monitors the odometer number and kicks the light at pre-assigned intervals. The light in my son's '00 Honda Accord is set to come on every 6k miles to remind you to change the oil. That one is easy to reset, just start the motor while holding the trip odo reset button.

#9 ·
drew2000 said:
They will usually use a high dollar scan tool to reset it. Should be cheap at the dealer though, as it takes less than 5 minutes to do.

Drew
Autozone will scan it for free if they have an OBD1 scanner. Some of the Actron scanners are both OBD1 and OBD2 so call different Autozone's. Don't tell them you want it reset but tell them you want to know what the problem is to replace the part. When they scan it if it has nothing to do with emissions they will reset it if you ask. Good luck.

#10 ·
that light is just a way for jeep to get more money out of you. the only way to get it reset is to go to jeep, they plug a module in and switch it back off, then chage ya 200 buks for it. as stated, its basically a reminder to replace your o2 sensors and such. just pull the bulb and be done with it :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.