maintenance replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > maintenance replacement

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 08-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

maintenance replacement

Our jeeps are can be 20 years plus. Is it smart to replace any parts befrore they go kaput? Ignition coil comes to mind. Is it smart to replace it before it craps out and leaves you stranded?
Or does it make more sense to not fix it till its broken.

chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Maintenance items are things like batteries, brakes, oil, coolant, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. You don't replace a thermostat - starter - alternator - etc, just because. Those are more of "replace it when it breaks" type items.

So long as you do the regular maintenance, the other items will hold up longer.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Where do drive it??? If you are offroading like in NV up to 100 miles from a real road or town in area without cell service yeah there might be somethings you want to just replace or parts to carry with you.

You are going to have to make the decision as to what you want to replace and when usually dependent on $$$.

I spend about 30 minutes at least prior to going out and grease all and check all before I leave.

Really not a comprehensive list for you but you know your YJ better than anyone else so take care of it and do the normal maintenance. And then check it closely. If you are worried about breaking down the common items are u-joints, tie rod ends, shock mounts and stock D35s and all their components. Tune up parts are great to carry along with u-joints, and tie rod ends. Brake lines if you are really worried. This also includes any fluids you might need in a pinch when out.

Hope this helps I am just rambling here.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject
Maintenance items are things like batteries, brakes, oil, coolant, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. You don't replace a thermostat - starter - alternator - etc, just because. Those are more of "replace it when it breaks" type items.

So long as you do the regular maintenance, the other items will hold up longer.
X2
There is maintenance then there is a waste of time and money.
I get bugged every weekend by the family about working on my jeep all the time.
I have literally replaced 90% of the underside of my jeep. From driveshafts to radiator. Most I replace before a problem occurs. Mainly because I have no clue what the PO had done before I got it. But their vehicle will never see 303000km. So that makes me feel better.
But yes, replacing the coil wouldn't be a bad decision, as long as you haven't already replaced it soon before. Use common sense when wanting to replace parts. Like, should you drop the cash for a new starter when yours works just fine? No. Items like that you wait for, otherwise you will be spending a lot of money for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

depending on the milage, might want to at least pull the timing cover and check the slop in the chain... and replace if the chain or gears look questionable.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.