JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   maintenance replacement (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/maintenance-replacement-1563199/)

chuck172 08-16-2013 06:16 PM

maintenance replacement

Our jeeps are can be 20 years plus. Is it smart to replace any parts befrore they go kaput? Ignition coil comes to mind. Is it smart to replace it before it craps out and leaves you stranded?
Or does it make more sense to not fix it till its broken.

Rproject 08-16-2013 07:35 PM

Maintenance items are things like batteries, brakes, oil, coolant, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. You don't replace a thermostat - starter - alternator - etc, just because. Those are more of "replace it when it breaks" type items.

So long as you do the regular maintenance, the other items will hold up longer.

jokerchief462 08-16-2013 07:54 PM

Where do drive it??? If you are offroading like in NV up to 100 miles from a real road or town in area without cell service yeah there might be somethings you want to just replace or parts to carry with you.

You are going to have to make the decision as to what you want to replace and when usually dependent on $$$.

I spend about 30 minutes at least prior to going out and grease all and check all before I leave.

Really not a comprehensive list for you but you know your YJ better than anyone else so take care of it and do the normal maintenance. And then check it closely. If you are worried about breaking down the common items are u-joints, tie rod ends, shock mounts and stock D35s and all their components. Tune up parts are great to carry along with u-joints, and tie rod ends. Brake lines if you are really worried. This also includes any fluids you might need in a pinch when out.

Hope this helps I am just rambling here.

bigbossd1030 08-16-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rproject
Maintenance items are things like batteries, brakes, oil, coolant, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. You don't replace a thermostat - starter - alternator - etc, just because. Those are more of "replace it when it breaks" type items.

So long as you do the regular maintenance, the other items will hold up longer.

X2
There is maintenance then there is a waste of time and money.
I get bugged every weekend by the family about working on my jeep all the time.
I have literally replaced 90% of the underside of my jeep. From driveshafts to radiator. Most I replace before a problem occurs. Mainly because I have no clue what the PO had done before I got it. But their vehicle will never see 303000km. So that makes me feel better.
But yes, replacing the coil wouldn't be a bad decision, as long as you haven't already replaced it soon before. Use common sense when wanting to replace parts. Like, should you drop the cash for a new starter when yours works just fine? No. Items like that you wait for, otherwise you will be spending a lot of money for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.

SeanB95YJ 08-16-2013 08:19 PM

depending on the milage, might want to at least pull the timing cover and check the slop in the chain... and replace if the chain or gears look questionable.

The time now is 07:53 PM.