Maint. Required Light ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Maint. Required Light ?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
dave_dj1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Maint. Required Light ?

as the proud new owner of a 91 wrangler, at first i thought it was the same as check engine light but it's not, any idea what makes this light stay on? i have checked everything i can think of??????and how do i shut it off short of removing the buld?
thanks,
dave

dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
YJ-Mike

I don't know for sure on that model, but many times manufacturers put in something like that to let you know that a certain number of miles have gone by and that it is time to do something.

Found this with a quick google:

Long Answer: On the Wrangler the "Maintenance Required" light is triggered by a timer function and is not associated with a particular fault. Most people associate it with the scheduled replacement of the O2 sensor. The "Check Engine" light is the more serious and is associated with some sort of discrepancy. The "Check Engine" light can be reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal but don't do so before retrieving the fault codes stored in the computer. You can find the procedures and diagnostic code meanings at http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

2006 TJ X (Stock - w/ Borla Cat-Back Exhaust)

Built a YJ from the ground up:

- '04 4.0L (4,000 miles), NV3550 (0 miles), NP231 w/ HD SYE (9,000 miles), 33x12.50x15 Pro-Comp AT's, HP D30/8.8 (4.56 gears), ARB Lockers front and rear w/ compressor, hard/soft tops, full/half doors.
-----> Build thread can be read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-build-plan-259306/
YJ-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
mp3coupe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

91 should be fuel injected, computer. The carb engines had a gray box near the gas pedal. I know my 90 had one, I would think they did away with that on F.I models.

Look by your gas pedal for a clear grayish box and unplug it. It will have gears inside of it......

here you go, search works awesome
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...Maint+Required

the 2nd post, a link to what it looks like it.

Last edited by mp3coupe; 06-06-2007 at 05:59 PM..
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
dave_dj1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

wow, that made for some interesting reading, i would have searched but i've come to the conclusion we all like to share our knowledge on a more personal level.....lol......
so? will the scanner that they use to scan for you at advance auto reset it or will i have to buy one? i don't know anyone who has one handy.
thanks for the great links and info and quick responses,
dave
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The maintenance req'd light cannot be reset. The timer must be replaced or the bulb pulled. Since I couldn't find the timer pictured in the linked post I ended up pulling the bulb.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
mp3coupe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1
wow, that made for some interesting reading, i would have searched but i've come to the conclusion we all like to share our knowledge on a more personal level.....lol......
so? will the scanner that they use to scan for you at advance auto reset it or will i have to buy one? i don't know anyone who has one handy.
thanks for the great links and info and quick responses,
dave
I didn't see a reset on mine. If it were mine I would just unplug it and the light will go out. I think those units are a one time deal but I'm not 100% sure. If it's a one shot deal I wouldn't waste money on it. I would however replace the o2 sensor, they do age and act up. The O2 is a key piece to F.I engines. --think gas milage
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Up thru 1990 the Wranglers had a mechanical timer that controlled that light.
The timer is a plastic box attached to the firewall up and to the right of the gas pedal. This timer box is not resettable. It has to be replaced (or disconnected) to make the light go out. It was meant to be replaced when you replaced the O2 sensor.

In 1991 they eliminated the mechanical timer box and the light is now turned on & off by the ECU computer.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.