magnetic antenna mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > magnetic antenna mount

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
mysterymachine
1993 YJ Wrangler 

magnetic antenna mount

The wife has a 1993 Wrangler that is basically stock. She has back conditions so she is reluctant to raise it at this time. I will be taking the Wrangler to Camp Jeep next week and have temporarily installed a CB radio so that I can communicate with all my buds. I am looking for a quick build antenna mount to temporarily hold a magnetic mount antenna. ( I know, old school technology - but everything I am using has been provided to me free.) I am thinking about trying to mount the antenna to the spare tire mounts on the tailgate. Has anyone made a homemade bracket like this and be willing to share how it was made? I will need to build it in my garage. I have limited tools and no ability to weld.

I am new to postings but have been reading over them for several weeks. We are a three jeep family. We share a 93 Wrangler, a 96 Cherokee and my work vehicle is a 2006 Liberty.

mysterymachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
MMerrick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have tried the rear tires mount as well...doesnt work if you plan on keeping the spare tires of there...with the magnetic i just put it behind my rear seat and cut aroudn the carpeting untill i was able to get another antenna
- 3.5" Superlift Lift Kit w/ Teraflex 9000 SSV Shocks
- 31"x11.5" Interco Super Swamper LTB Bias Tires
- Cragar 342 Black D-Window 15x8 wheels.
MMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
claybob
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If it's magnetic I would just stick it on the cowl right behind the hood.
Unread 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you mount it anywhere on the hood or front fenders, and are driving through low trees, you will scratch the paint. I know this from experience. Your wife may not appreciate trail scars like we do. If your are going topless, try what MMerrick suggests, or one of the rear wheel wells might work better. If your not topless, you could lose that plastic "JEEP" frame cover up front and use the frame for the trip.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
mysterymachine
1993 YJ Wrangler 

MR B is right. My wife wouldn't appreciate the trail scars. I had originally considered putting it on the right front fender but figured it wouldn't last long there. I got my 13 yoa son in on the project and we have fabbed up a bracket that we hope will fit onto the top bolts of the spare tire mount. We made it come up behind the spare and then it angles out above the spare like a shelf. We didn;t get to finish tonight. Hopefully we can get back to it tomorrow evening and road test it.
mysterymachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
schizm99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

take a small peice of metal and bend it drill holes and mount to the rear carrier.. be sure the edges are ground down!! I have mine on the rear wheel wheel but have used that set up before
schizm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.