Made in the usa jeep tops. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Made in the usa jeep tops.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #1
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Made in the usa jeep tops.

Hello Wrangler owners,

I have been developing a new bikini top for CJ7s and it should also fit wranglers up to 91?

this is the link that started the project if you want to take a look,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/made-china-2674482/

If someone can confirm the measurement from windshield track to the center of the roll bar ,,this should fit a wrangler also. A cj7 measures 39"

I have never owned a yj but i think the track is the same?

here is the post,

Hello everyone,

I have completed the new top with feedback from this forum and I am ready to post the result. I have spent two months sourcing materials that are made in the USA with USA materials. It is not so easy.

I sincerely made every effort to make the very best top with the very best materials. If you purchase one of these tops and are not happy with it when it arrives, I will pay to ship it back. If the top or a component fails I will fix it, ship a new one, or refund the purchase. Hopefully you guys wont go out of your way to destroy it. (no hauling firewood up there)

(moderator=== edit if needed, i do not want to be deleted as a classified add.) I will be selling them in the future, Please advise so i do not violate the rules.

Here it is,

I sincerely think i have made the best top that can be made and still keep it under 100 with shipping. bestop is selling their chinese top for almost 50 now.

Here we go, step by step..

we are using an extruded plastic with a .250 bead and a .500 wing to insert into the windshield track. The fabric is double stitched, the plastic extends to the end of the fabric, the bead is trimmed back .500 to allow for the binding.

we then stitch a 2" section of polyester webbing onto the top to provide chafe against the windshield frame.

The front edge is folded back onto itself and stitched back until the webbing ends. This keeps the plastic windshield insert pointing in the correct direction all the time. the strip does not fall out of the track when installing the straps

We kept the fabric full width to the roll bar to provide as much shade as possible. This makes the gather at the roll bar more difficult to sew.
Making the strap to pull equal tension of the side as well as the side to side in the rear is a compromise. The shorter the side material, the easier it is to make tight. The older tops are 48 wide, new competitor tops are 52. Ours are 56". We can make them more narrow if requested but most wanted a little more on the sides.

This small gusset of fabric is sewn under the top where the webbing attaches. It will help spread the load.

We use a one inch polyester webbing with UV blockers added. It measure .075 in thickness. We are also using a metal ladder lock for the webbing. This may change to plastic. I will be testing a different weaved webbing this week. the metal is smooth but if pulled hard and hard on the side it frays the webbing slightly. the metal locks potentially have burrs from the stamping.

I still need to find a buckle like this to hold the tail of the webbing from blowing around. It could be removed is it is not wanted. I think I will not be installing metal webbing tips. The ladder locks are enough to keep track of and I am worried the tips may damage someones paint when flinging the top up over the roll bar.

The top in the pictures above is made of Haartz OMK material. We have Haartz Sailcloth in Black and Saddle coming in this week to make the final choice. We feel the sailcloth is a better material and the price will be worth it. The OMK is a jeep spec and a lessor quality. I can send out swatch samples before i ship out a top. I have a yard of every brown/tan coming in this week. I will need to choose no more than two. I am still hunting for the denim blue and nutmeg colors.

this chart is scanned and does not do the swatches any justest. saddle does not look reddish in person.

here are some colors from the single texture chart.

I can always make a top for anyone from any material if you want something unique. It takes 1.5 yards to make a top. I never completed a top with sunbrella. I might do it just to see if it fails.

Moderator approval?????

If you are interested in a top you can email me at USATOPS@USA.COM. We are a week or so away from being able to start some production. It is just me at this time, i will try to reply asap. Soon we will have a website set up with all of the technical specifics. I hope to add a CJ5 top, cargo cover, mesh top, and full family cage style top soon. The hard part is over, finding the stuff took forever.

PS,,, I need CJ5 measurements. Windshield track to the center of the roll bar and the center of the roll bar to the "tailgate" I will make a specific top for cj5s.

The model in the above pictures fits CJ7s with the curved windshield tracks. The front edge measures 56" side to side. the piping measures 55" as should the windshield track. I would like to sell the first ten tops below cost (50$, same as the chinexico top) with a 100% money back guarantee if you do not think it is the absolute best top on the market.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Chris

chris989604 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When you want family bar (92 and up) measurements, let me know. I'll buy one. Don't forget about us spice colored folks. Black is too hot for the desert sun.

Nevermind, I saw your color chart.

I have another idea that I think could take off. I'll pm you.
Unread Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #3
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
When you want family bar (92 and up) measurements, let me know. I'll buy one. Don't forget about us spice colored folks. Black is too hot for the desert sun.

Nevermind, I saw your color chart.

I have another idea that I think could take off. I'll pm you.
I am in Las Vegas,, I will be making a spice color for my jeep, black was all i could get my hands on in the beginning. you can email me at usatops@usa.com.
chris989604 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.