LT1 Be Cool Radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LT1 Be Cool Radiator

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEMassive SAVINGS on VISION X EVO PRIME 10 WATT LED LIGHT BANew Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit Cataly

Unread 06-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
greatyanks23
1990 YJ Wrangler 

LT1 Be Cool Radiator

Is there another (cheaper) solution for a radiator for a LT1 in a 90' YJ? I was looking at the "Be Cool" radiator on Quadratec's website ($869.99). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am going to run a 740R4/NP231C setup with the LT1.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_602.htm

This is the link to the "Be Cool" setup

Thanks,
Chris

greatyanks23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

This "might" help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.tellico4x4.com/index.php/...91a8f7aa41b639

http://www.lt1tech.com/ These guys will know. Just ask.

$869.99 is bloody ridiculous
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley

Last edited by ScotZ; 06-05-2007 at 07:51 PM..
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

This is a great thread if you are thinking about a swap. He did a TJ but it is very good.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/my-v8-swap-blog-updates-365293/
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

One of these days I'm going to get a TIG so I can get filthy rich welding a couple tabs to the side of a universal dirt track radiator and sell them as a conversion radiator for twice what they are worth.

Seriously, get a $200 Chevy universal 22x19 aluminum radiator from Summit or Jeg's and make your own mounts with scrap steel. It's very simple. Here is my radiator with Taurus fan. I have about $300 in my entire cooling system including radiator hoses and wiring for the fan.

I wheel it like I stole it and it has never gotten over 210 with this setup.

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
sgtcherokee
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj
One of these days I'm going to get a TIG so I can get filthy rich welding a couple tabs to the side of a universal dirt track radiator and sell them as a conversion radiator for twice what they are worth.

Seriously, get a $200 Chevy universal 22x19 aluminum radiator from Summit or Jeg's and make your own mounts with scrap steel. It's very simple. Here is my radiator with Taurus fan. I have about $300 in my entire cooling system including radiator hoses and wiring for the fan.

I wheel it like I stole it and it has never gotten over 210 with this setup.

I had the same Radiator in my last rig only I mounted it in the rear , never got hot unless I forgot to turn on the fan I was running a 350 as well.
Unread 06-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's why I porpusely left the switch out of the fan circuit! I let the ECM decide when the fan is on and off! I go around deep water/mud anyway, that stuff does too much damage.
Unread 06-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Don-T
2012 JK Wrangler 

Until recently I had an Extreme Radiator heavy duty conversion with the stock jeep shroud and fan run off the water pump. It was marginal in cooling. If I let it idle for very long the temp would creep up and if I went over 70 MPH the temp would creep up. One of the mounts on the radiator (epoxied to the tanks) failed. I decided to get a Be-Cool radiator because I have used them in the past with good luck. I bought the radiator from Summit Racing, I thing their pricing is better. I bought the version without the trans cooler built in, and then I bought a Hayden cooler for the trans. I am now using an electric fan from Summit too. The cooling is far better now. I have not been able to get the temp over 200*. I am running this with a 350 TBI and 700R4.
Unread 06-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
gimme mud!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

this place sells the radiator for 199$ http://www.xtremeterrain.com/p86.htm
gimme mud! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Could it be because you now have the trans cooler seperate like it should be? My dad has an 86 S10 backhalfed with a narrowed 9" and 18" slicks powered by a hot (no pun intended) SBC roller motor. We chased an overheating issue all over and finally out of a guess one day I bypassed the trans cooler in his radiator and the temp dropped 15 degrees! He now has the same B&M fan-cooler I have in the bed of the truck.

I never understood the reason behind combining the two coolers. Automatic transmissions operate at a much lower temperature range (160-180) than an engine does (190-21) so in effect you are actually heating your trans if it is connected to the radiator. Not to mention the mess that follows if the unit fails and oil mixes with coolant.
Unread 06-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
Don-T
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj
Could it be because you now have the trans cooler seperate like it should be?

The previous radiator had the trans cooler in the bottom tank. I have checked the temperature of the trans lines and the supply was at 175* and the return was at 170*. I think that means I was getting some cooling from it but I think the trans should be cooler than that. One of these days I will check the trans cooler to see how it is doing now. The big reason I got away from the other manufacturer is because the mounting bracket failed. The new one is all welded aluminum, I don't think it will come apart. I suspect this radiator may be more inefficient because the electric fan pulls less air then the mechanical fan did at idle but the temperatures are about 15* cooler. The difference is more under load.
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Summit radiator $158 Taurus fan $35 autozone wire kit $40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.