Lowering Windshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lowering Windshield

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-16-2001, 12:50 AM   #1
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lowering Windshield

Hey people, I just got a new Cowl seal. (the seal between the windshied frame and the Cowl) And disconnected all the obvious hardware. Well the windshield didnt want to budge. I am afraid of forceing it because I dont want to crack the windshield or bend the hinges. I have lubed the hinges a couple times.
Is there some hidden screws I havent found, or is it just because its never been down before. Any suggestions as to what I'M up against replaceing this seal would be appreciated. My vehicle info follows.

Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2001, 12:53 AM   #2
evilpsych

um.. take the visors off.. the roll bars are catching on them

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2001, 01:04 AM   #3
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK EEEVELLLL, Wanna be a smart *** hu. Yesterday I saw your posting about replacing speakers and how you couldnt get to them. I recall you stated last week how easy it was to replace them. Hmmmm are you just running off at the mouth on every subject?
If so spare me son! I dont have the time.
Unread 11-16-2001, 02:27 AM   #4
Ruftags

There was a post not more than a week ago about this You probably can find it by backpeddling the pages. As I recall it was pretty detailed. I went lookin for the post with no luck. The one thing that does stand out is be careful not to bend just above hinge. Good luck.
Unread 11-16-2001, 03:17 AM   #5
Ruftags

Found the damn thing. Evilpsch was probably tryin to help for real, since he's the one that started the post under the general discussion forum. Look there and see if it helps. It one page 2 for now any more posts there and it will go to page 3
Unread 11-16-2001, 03:42 AM   #6
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Ruftags. Went looking for the topic and guess what I found. I will repost for all to see. This is from Eeevilll on 30 OCT

"how the !@#$%^ do I fold the windshield down on my '93 YJ.. i've removed the bolts on the roll bar, the straps on the dash also.. but the damn thing wont fold!!!"

Just thought I would add his question (See Above) considering his reply to my question.

Anyway, Ill give it a try tomorrow, replacing the seal. If I have to I will remove the whole windshield frame assembly if I can get those idiot star screws out.

Personal note. I think this forum is great. I have really learned a lot about Jeep specific things. I consider myself an average mechanic. I have replaced engines, trannys, and just about everything on cars or trucks. I ask a question to save time finding out the hard way. As do I'm sure everyone else does. But when a person mocks the question. Then I take offense. Especially when that person claims to have done the same procedure and is unwilling to share their experience. Or maybe they were just idiots and truely forgot to remove the sun visor screws.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. The question
Unread 11-17-2001, 03:43 AM   #7
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Update: The windshield cowl seal install was a success. I unbolted everything and used a lug wrench to pry the windshield frame from the bottom at both sides. Once it broke free it went down smothly. The seal was really easy to replace. I got it from JCwhitney for 29 bucks. The reason I replaced it was because the old one was dry rotted. I also replaced the Roll Bar pads and Soft top while I had it down. Also cleaned up the whole area with some Simple Green.
I had the forsight to order those Star Sockets from Whitney while I was at it. They are great for the Money, 12 Bucks, impact style with the tamper proof hollowed out portion in the center. Sears had the same thing without the tamperproof part for 40 bucks.

Thanks to all previous post concerning this topic I didnt do any damage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.