Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #76
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Reviving an old thread, I have a 02 TJ, I have a slight "pop" coming from the steering and a little bit of wobble in te from end when I get up to speed. I had a friend move the wheel back and forth while I looked for play in the suspension, found that the steering shaft where it connects into the steering gear box is popping. Does this mean I need to change that bearing/seal? I looks like it is leaking a small amount of fluid.

Other than that there is no whining and the steering isnt difficult to turn.

catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #77
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Seems to me you need to have your steering box overhauled or replace the seals. Specially if there is fluid leaking, the bearing is at the top of the shaft near the firewall, however if you do remove the shaft it may be a good opportunity to change the bearing as well. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #78
tggraham
1989 YJ Wrangler 

cheapest I found

in case anyone is currently looking for this part

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221229582330...S:1120&vxp=mtr
tggraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #79
pointech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've had these instructions and my new bearing sitting on my workbench for at least a year now. I finally did the install today. Thanks a bunch for this write up with pictures - it was very helpful!
pointech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #80
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointech View Post
I've had these instructions and my new bearing sitting on my workbench for at least a year now. I finally did the install today. Thanks a bunch for this write up with pictures - it was very helpful!
You're welcome!

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
Unread 05-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #81
YJMCB
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Fernando for the great write-up,changed mine this morning.You made it a simple job by reading your write-up.I did not have an extra set of hands so I had to build me i little platform to move the steering box.thanks again,yjmcb
Unread 05-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #82
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJMCB View Post
Thanks Fernando for the great write-up,changed mine this morning.You made it a simple job by reading your write-up.I did not have an extra set of hands so I had to build me i little platform to move the steering box.thanks again,yjmcb
You're very welcome!

Quote:
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #83
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up !
ziloh22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.