Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 92 Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Reviving an old thread, I have a 02 TJ, I have a slight "pop" coming from the steering and a little bit of wobble in te from end when I get up to speed. I had a friend move the wheel back and forth while I looked for play in the suspension, found that the steering shaft where it connects into the steering gear box is popping. Does this mean I need to change that bearing/seal? I looks like it is leaking a small amount of fluid.

Other than that there is no whining and the steering isnt difficult to turn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 92 Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Seems to me you need to have your steering box overhauled or replace the seals. Specially if there is fluid leaking, the bearing is at the top of the shaft near the firewall, however if you do remove the shaft it may be a good opportunity to change the bearing as well. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
post #78 of 92 Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 AM
tggraham
1989 YJ Wrangler 

cheapest I found

in case anyone is currently looking for this part

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221229582330...S:1120&vxp=mtr
post #79 of 92 Old 05-04-2014, 08:22 PM
pointech
2014 JK Wrangler 

I've had these instructions and my new bearing sitting on my workbench for at least a year now. I finally did the install today. Thanks a bunch for this write up with pictures - it was very helpful!

pointech - Tom in Virginia
2014 Wrangler Sport
SOLD 1994 Wrangler YJ S - 4 cylinder 5 speed - My Registry Thread
SOLD 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
post #80 of 92 Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointech View Post
I've had these instructions and my new bearing sitting on my workbench for at least a year now. I finally did the install today. Thanks a bunch for this write up with pictures - it was very helpful!
You're welcome!

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
post #81 of 92 Old 05-23-2014, 10:26 AM
YJMCB
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Fernando for the great write-up,changed mine this morning.You made it a simple job by reading your write-up.I did not have an extra set of hands so I had to build me i little platform to move the steering box.thanks again,yjmcb

87 YJ,SOA,35-12.50 Mickey Thompson Claws 92 XJ,8.8 detroit rear,35's & other stuff.
post #82 of 92 Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJMCB View Post
Thanks Fernando for the great write-up,changed mine this morning.You made it a simple job by reading your write-up.I did not have an extra set of hands so I had to build me i little platform to move the steering box.thanks again,yjmcb
You're very welcome!

Quote:
post #83 of 92 Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 AM
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up !

2012- Gecko JK Rubicon Unlimited- building...
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited- 3.5 RK X Factor 37s-SOLD
1995 Gecko YJ with a TJ Front- 35s
post #84 of 92 Old 11-19-2015, 10:51 AM
ericp2011
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot

After replacing the gearbox twice, changing all tie-rods, changed the power and more, all I had left to change was the lower steering shaft (I believed) until I read your thread.

Ordered the $25.00 part, replaced it, and my 95 Jeep steers like new now!!!

So before you start playing with the gearbox adjustment screw, just check this bearing and it might save you a lot of money, trust me!

My old plastic retainer was cracked and the bearing was loose, followed the easy instructions on this write up and back to Jeeping!!!!
post #85 of 92 Old 11-19-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp2011 View Post
After replacing the gearbox twice, changing all tie-rods, changed the power and more, all I had left to change was the lower steering shaft (I believed) until I read your thread.

Ordered the $25.00 part, replaced it, and my 95 Jeep steers like new now!!!

So before you start playing with the gearbox adjustment screw, just check this bearing and it might save you a lot of money, trust me!

My old plastic retainer was cracked and the bearing was loose, followed the easy instructions on this write up and back to Jeeping!!!!
Awesome! I'm glad this thread helped so many, such a small part is easy to overlook.

Quote:
post #86 of 92 Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 PM
galby81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Smooth sailing up until the point of the bearing not wanting to come off, it is spinning but still being held on by what I am hoping to be just remaining pieces from the bearing. Hopefully a dremel sorts this out. I am assuming that all YJs from 87-95 have smooth ends and not some permanent fixture put on later to hold the bearing in? Mine is a 95. Anyways, off to get a dremel to give that a try.
post #87 of 92 Old 04-28-2016, 01:39 PM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galby81 View Post
Smooth sailing up until the point of the bearing not wanting to come off, it is spinning but still being held on by what I am hoping to be just remaining pieces from the bearing. Hopefully a dremel sorts this out. I am assuming that all YJs from 87-95 have smooth ends and not some permanent fixture put on later to hold the bearing in? Mine is a 95. Anyways, off to get a dremel to give that a try.
I was able to grab mine with a little vice grips and just tear it off.
post #88 of 92 Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM
galby81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Was prying a bit with mine, but seemed as though I was gonna wreck something so hitting up the dremel as soon as I finish up supper and will post how she goes.
post #89 of 92 Old 04-28-2016, 03:27 PM
galby81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got it! Dremel worked liked a dream, the bearing was pretty near welded to the shaft. Now to throw er in and see how that goes.
post #90 of 92 Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 PM
galby81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bearing in! Had to tap the back of a socket with a hammer, not hard though to get it to go, thanks for the write up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.