Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #61
rich490
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up. I was able to do mine yesterday in a little over an hour. Just a lot of PB Blaster and I was able to get the whole thing apart.

rich490 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #62
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Glad I could help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #63
Jeepluvr38
1983 CJ7 

Question about the old lower column bearing...

Hi folks - I'm new here, just joined when I picked up an 83' CJ7. The lower column bearing went out on me last week, and I purchased the bearing kit and have removed everything and I'm ready to reassemble but the new bearing doesn't seem to want to fit on the column shaft.
Is it common for the inside race of the old bearing to remain on the shaft, just above the splines? Is the shaft supposed to be totally smooth above the splines? I can cut it with a whiz wheel or dremel, but don't want to do any unnecessary damage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris
Jeepluvr38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #64
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL You are in the YJ section. You should be posting up to the CJ! Welcome to the forum. You have the same basic setup as us so when I did mine the bearing race did stick to the shaft and I did use the dremel to score it and break it fee. I didn't go all the way through because I was worried about messing up the shaft. I had a difficult time getting it back on too. I sanded the shaft to smooth it. Cleaned it up and greased it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #65
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mmmmm I didn't experience any problems like this... Mine came out smooth. I guess use whatever means necessary to remove the old bearing but take care not to damage the shaft... Good luck!

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #66
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here ya go.....to your door for under $15......mine will be here tomorrow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380433655078...84.m1497.l2649
Unread 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #67
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Some user asked me this question, but his inbox is full and I'm unable to reply so I'm answering his question here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cj7Jeep
on the write up you did on the lower steering shaft bearing. when you snap the bearing in the white plastic bushing my bearing spins in the plastic bushing and is a little loose. Should it be that way?
Thanks
Mmmmm that's strange, the fit is not super tight but shouldn't be loose either... Can you send me a pic of the assembly?

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #68
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great writeup and the link to Ebay works. Just checked mine very loose. I am about to start the tear down and fix all the front end steering so great start at the right place. Just hoping the gearbox is still good just needs an adjustment. THANKS for a great write-up.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462
Great writeup and the link to Ebay works. Just checked mine very loose. I am about to start the tear down and fix all the front end steering so great start at the right place. Just hoping the gearbox is still good just needs an adjustment. THANKS for a great write-up.
You're very welcome! Hope yours goes smooth!

Quote:
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #70
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Hey Fernando, I'm in the process to replace my steering box with a re-built 1999/Durango (hear they are stronger than the YJ). Just replaced my steering shaft and stabilizer but had too much play and when going out of a highway ramp (circle) the front end is all over the place. Is this bearing at the steering box/shaft connection?. The re-built one will come with a new bearing, right?...Thanks
GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #71
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Out & in no issues and what (bearing) I took out was junk. Tightened things up quite a bit now on to the ball joints and tie rod ends. Thanks for the great write-up.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #72
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gil, if it is rebuilt it should include a new bearing.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #73
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilNewJeeper View Post
Hey Fernando, I'm in the process to replace my steering box with a re-built 1999/Durango (hear they are stronger than the YJ). Just replaced my steering shaft and stabilizer but had too much play and when going out of a highway ramp (circle) the front end is all over the place. Is this bearing at the steering box/shaft connection?. The re-built one will come with a new bearing, right?...Thanks
sorry Gil I was away on business and could not respond earlier... Mmm the steering bearing will prevent vibrations at the steering wheel and dash, but if your steering wanders then you have another problem... what exactly do you mean when you say "the front end is all over the place" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Out & in no issues and what (bearing) I took out was junk. Tightened things up quite a bit now on to the ball joints and tie rod ends. Thanks for the great write-up.
Thank you I'm very glad it was useful for you!

Quote:
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #74
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
sorry Gil I was away on business and could not respond earlier... Mmm the steering bearing will prevent vibrations at the steering wheel and dash, but if your steering wanders then you have another problem... what exactly do you mean when you say "the front end is all over the place" ?
Well, it is like the car is going to the right but the tires want to go to the left. I just replaced the gear box today and is a lot better but I think I need an alignment and tire rotation. I also think that I need to replace the sway bar bushings. All this will be done soon.

GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #75
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Found this today. Guess what im doing?

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.