Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #46
zacharydruhm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just wondering if changing this bearing would affect the alignment at all? Great write up.

zacharydruhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #47
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It did not affect it on mine... I don't think it will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #48
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pictures and write up.

I just did mine yesterday. First, here is the cheapest place I found for the bearing.

EDIT:

removed the link. Oconee offroad has an amazon store with a really cheap price for the bearing, but the link keeps changing. Search for it; it's only $19

Second. Mine came apart in pieces and I had to dremel the inner race out so I had to guess a little putting it back together. It seems that the plastic spacer goes in first, then the bearing snaps into that, small end first, then the metal cup goes on. But doing it that way there is really nothing holding the bearing in place other than the teeny plastic snap and friction from the steering shaft. Or, did I not get all the pieces out of mine?

Any one else have a fallen apart bearing?

thx

BTW. It's not needed to take the steering box out IF the telescoping part of the shaft will move. On mine I was able to clamp some vice grips on the upper part of the shaft and use that surface to tap down.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #49
jyoukhanna0218
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Something looks completely wrong in that first picture. Where in the hell is the rust that should be covering the frame? Is costa rica some sort of magical land where jeeps last forever?
jyoukhanna0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #50
twildt
1978 CJ5 

i have a 78 jeep cj5, i have my steering shaft off, im trying to get the lower column bearing off to replace it and i have bent the crap out of the steel casing around the bearing and its plastic housing trying to slide it off the column shaft but its so rusted and there's no room to get a hammer and pry bar in there.... how do i get that old rusty bearing off the lower steering column shaft??? HELP!!
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #51
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildt View Post
i have a 78 jeep cj5, i have my steering shaft off, im trying to get the lower column bearing off to replace it and i have bent the crap out of the steel casing around the bearing and its plastic housing trying to slide it off the column shaft but its so rusted and there's no room to get a hammer and pry bar in there.... how do i get that old rusty bearing off the lower steering column shaft??? HELP!!
Have you tried prying the metal housing the bearing goes into apart? I recently helped my buddy replace his on his '81 CJ-7. If that doesn't work you could try a slide hammer but it might be too big.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #52
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildt View Post
Do they use the same bearing? I've never seen a 78 CJ5 so I wonder... removing that clip was fairly easy, but then again, no rust on mine.

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
Unread 10-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #53
twildt
1978 CJ5 

Fernando mine is the exact same as yours, clip came off easy but i can't get the bearing to slide off. I didn't see the posts on your 1st page of this forum post where some of the guys took the column loose and lifted it out a little or the shaft slid down, either way i will try that and see if i can get to the bearing.

i will post my results.
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #54
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was so rusted the outer part of the bearing fell off but I had to cut the inner race with a dremel.
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #55
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

this is a great write-up. but heres a question. i have heard to torque the bolt that holds the steering shaft to the joint to 33ft/lbs. is 33 wrong and 65ft/lbs right?
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #56
danlee
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to try this repair this weekend, I was thinking of using a ratchet strap to get my steering shaft to draw in. Anyone ever done this?
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #57
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've been told by 2 different professionals the lower steering shaft (if it is stock) is not made to collapse except in a crash. It has a metal clip inside it or a plastic shear pin that you are breaking if you get it to collapse.

Lower the steering box like the OP says.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #58
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
I've been told by 2 different professionals the lower steering shaft (if it is stock) is not made to collapse except in a crash. It has a metal clip inside it or a plastic shear pin that you are breaking if you get it to collapse.

Lower the steering box like the OP says.
Sounds like bad information. If you order a new one it comes collapsed and will move pretty easy until it rusts up.
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #59
danlee
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bearing replacement

I noticed mine has a shear pin in it as well, I ended up pulling the steering box, after that it went real easy
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #60
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry I have not been following my own post, I see a lot of comments I haven't read till today... the 33 ft/lb value is for the shaft bolt, the 65ft/lb value is for the bolts holding the steering box to the frame... I think if you try to apply 65ft/lb to the shaft bolt it will either break or strip.

For those of you who have rust on your shaft or box, it may help to apply PB Blaster to everything, everyday, for at least a week before attempting the job... Mine has no rust because of Costa Rica's weather and the area where I live, plus I try to take good care of the frame.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.