Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 03-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #31
JW-YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Steering box. The lower end of the steering column just underneath the front bumper.

JW-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #32
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW-YJ View Post
Steering box. The lower end of the steering column just underneath the front bumper.
In that case then I concur with Opihi59. The sealed steering box might of had a seal go bad. The only other thing that it "might" be is brake fluid. There is a brake line that goes around the bottom of the grill to cool I guess. Anyway, I know my YJ has it, maybe yours does too. Just from what you described clearish liquid. But you would of had brake problems and I'm not sure what color the fluid is in a non-power steering box.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #33
JW-YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So guys, now that I had a second to take a look at the ride. It DOES have power steering... It IS leaking from the lower steering box. I knew some of these Jeeps don't have power steering so didn't think a thing of it until I really got a look at the engine. So I filled it up again, and wow that's a lot easier to drive.

I'm not sure if it's a gasket or a damaged bearing, it's leaking from the bottom of the steering box where the steering arm connects.
Unread 03-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #34
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I was wondering about a 95 without power steering, I have actually never seen a YJ without power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #35
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

does the intermediate shaft telescope down? looks like it would.
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #36
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

An 87??? That looks like the underneith of an 06 tj in NY! I wanna move to costa rica
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #37
JW-YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartwell59 View Post
does the intermediate shaft telescope down? looks like it would.
I just replaced my whole steering box, it had a leak in it. The shaft looked collapsable, however mine was seized in it's position which made it hard to get the box off/on. We d/c-ed it right up at the top of the column. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #38
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW-YJ View Post
I just replaced my whole steering box, it had a leak in it. The shaft looked collapsable, however mine was seized in it's position which made it hard to get the box off/on. We d/c-ed it right up at the top of the column. Hope this helps.
i think so.

i'm trying to do the bearing replacement w/o dropping the box... and would rather disconnect it at the bearing or lower shaft coming out the firewall.

i've been liquid wrenching it at the middle point on the intermediate hoping to get it to collapse... i wanted to know if it's ever going to.

if not i'll just drop the box and take it from there.

thanks.
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #39
SDGBASSE
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great write-up, by the way, the collapsing is necessary on the steering shaft, it prevents the steering from impaling the driver when in a frontal crash.....
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #40
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGBASSE View Post
by the way, the collapsing is necessary on the steering shaft, it prevents the steering from impaling the driver when in a frontal crash.....
I wonder how much force it takes to collapse it, since everyone seems to have problems with that.

I never thought dropping the box would be a problem Mine has no rust at all but I can see now that rust may be a problem... However I do not know what is more difficult, getting the shaft to collapse or removing the rusty bolts at the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGBASSE View Post
Great write-up
Thank you

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
Unread 04-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #41
SDGBASSE
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't replaced one yet, but from what I understand it should be pretty easy to move (when it's brand new), after a couple of years of usage it probably jams in place if it's not lubricated frequently. But a frontal crash should be enough to free it...
Unread 04-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #42
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My steering shaft was fused together and would not slide/telescope. I PB'd it over a few days then removed it and "encouraged" it to slide, then took it apart and greased it up. Slides real well now.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #43
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

it's really not fair hwo clean your frame is...

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #44
Goldneye
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice wright up, and tiled floor to boot
Goldneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #45
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldneye View Post
Nice wright up, and tiled floor to boot
Haha thanks!!

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.