Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower steering shaft bearing replacement - With pics!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did this a few months ago while I was tracking down some front end clunking. This little bearing was probably 90% of my problem. A new Borgeson shaft made a huge difference, too...

Unread 09-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsurfer View Post
I'm in the process of trying to replace my steering shaft and I'm having trouble getting the old one out. I dropped the steering box like shown above, but I can't move it enough to get the shaft off. It it just about there though. I think if I can get it to move less than another inch it will come off. Any ideas?
I'd rather not cut, but where exactly would I cut it?
Better try and lower your box a bit more, an inch is a little distance in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #18
SouthernJeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up. The lower bearing on the 89 YJ I just bought is !NON-EXISTANT! I can literarly bang the shaft back and forth in the steering column's outer tube that comes through the firewall. Will be replacing everything this week end, with much help from your write, which I will be printing off momentarily.

Thanks.

If I can get my down load program to work I'll post some pics to add to this thread.
SouthernJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
3fourty6
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good write up. Will be doing this very soon and wondered how the shaft would come apart. I've never seen a garage floor with tile either!! Looks fancy!
3fourty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #20
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fourty6 View Post
Good write up. Will be doing this very soon and wondered how the shaft would come apart. I've never seen a garage floor with tile either!! Looks fancy!
Thank you! My garage is very small... we figured it was cheap to have tiles on the floor since it was a small space!

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #21
hrdcrspz
1980 CJ7 

hey dude thanks a lot on this post, I have been trying for a while to take this out and replace it. question though... is the steering shaft retractable??? the dude that owned it before me did a 1 inch body lift which knocked it out of place by just enouph for me to be able to turn it a little bit and get stuck to where I can do circles all day with my hands off the wheel haha . The shaft seemed to get stuck on the inner part of the wheel well. it looks retractable but im just not sure if its just rusted shut. I am hoping it is because I cant find a steering shaft extender anywhere.
hrdcrspz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am not totally sure but I believe on some models it is retractable, but rust and grime will get it stuck. However your case is different because of the body lift, the shaft should not make contact with the inner part of the wheel well... Can you take some pictures of that and post them?

Try using a hammer to get it loose, careful not to ruin the shaft, hit it hard but not extremely hard, some PB Blaster will help too. You may have to remove the whole shaft if it decides not to budge.

Good Luck!! Keep us posted

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
hrdcrspz
1980 CJ7 

thanks for the reply. unfortunately I already took it out. I will try what you said though... I already tried the hammer it seems to not want to budge. The lower part of the steering shaft is smaller and looks like it slides into the upper part
hrdcrspz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #24
JW-YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this, I just purchased my jeep and got it home and it's leaking there.. I figure that's the problem. Great post.
JW-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #25
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW-YJ View Post
Thanks for this, I just purchased my jeep and got it home and it's leaking there.. I figure that's the problem. Great post.
What's leaking out of it? Shouldn't have liquid coming out from there. If the bearing is bad you can tell by grabbing the steering shaft and trying to move it back and forth. If you have a lot of play up there its bad.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
JW-YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
What's leaking out of it? Shouldn't have liquid coming out from there. If the bearing is bad you can tell by grabbing the steering shaft and trying to move it back and forth. If you have a lot of play up there its bad.
Thanks for the response, it is a clearish oily fluid that is leaking from the steering box as far as I can tell. Any insight?
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #27
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW-YJ View Post
Thanks for the response, it is a clearish oily fluid that is leaking from the steering box as far as I can tell. Any insight?
The clearish oily fluid is likely power steering fluid. It isn't likely you have a leak from the steering box per se, it is likely that you have a leak of power steering fluid probably from the high pressure hose side. Wipe everything down, power spray it off etc, let it dry and see if you can home in on where the leak is.
Check your power steering reservoir to make sure it has fluid in it, top it off if necessary. Check for cracks in the reservoir that may dribble down a hose and masquerade as a leak from below.
My bet is that it is your high pressure hose leaking. Part is readily available, but it a pain to get to the fitting on the lower end.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #28
JW-YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
The clearish oily fluid is likely power steering fluid. It isn't likely you have a leak from the steering box per se, it is likely that you have a leak of power steering fluid probably from the high pressure hose side. Wipe everything down, power spray it off etc, let it dry and see if you can home in on where the leak is.
Check your power steering reservoir to make sure it has fluid in it, top it off if necessary. Check for cracks in the reservoir that may dribble down a hose and masquerade as a leak from below.
My bet is that it is your high pressure hose leaking. Part is readily available, but it a pain to get to the fitting on the lower end.
My 95 YJ doesn't have power steering, that was my first thought, however this is my first car w/o power steering. Would the car still have a steering fluid reservoir? I haven't had a chance to even get under the car yet or in the engine it's not even a day old for me yet. Thanks!
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #29
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okaaayyyy Scratch that idea.

No power steering, no power steering fluid. Try to isolate the origin of the leak and let us know. It is possible for the steering box to leak, there is a seal/seals in it etc but I honestly do not know what type lube/fluid is in Jeep steering boxes. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #30
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just to clarify, are we talking about the steering box or the upper part of the shaft where the column comes through the firewall?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.