Lower Shock mount replacement & New Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower Shock mount replacement & New Shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lower Shock mount replacement & New Shocks

I always come here for the best advice... so here goes -

I just replaced the lower shock mounts (welded to axle housing) on my stock '90 YJ (one was rusted through so I did both). The replacement brackets looked about 3" shorter than the OEM (they were the only ones I could find) so the rear now sits about 3" taller than standard height (and I'm probably not getting full travel/damping effect). Since this is, essentially, a road/highway vehicle, I'd like to bring it back down to stock height & need to figure out what height shock absorber I need.
Should I just go to auto store and tell them I want a shock absorber that's 3" shorter"?
Is there a way to figure out exactly what I need by measuring from top to bottom mount and dividing, etc.?
Should a shock absorber at rest be at the mid-point between fully expanded and fully closed?

Any help appreciated... thanks

Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are two options that are about the same cost but will gain different results. The first is obvious. Flex out your suspension and measure the fully extended and fully collapsed points of the rear shock tabs, then give that info to your shock monger and he should be able to get you the shocks you need that will not bottom out and break something. The other option is if you paid good money for your current shocks and want to avoid spending money on them again.

Teraflex makes this rear shock bar that's designed to maximize travel in tight spaces. There are three adjustments on it for different travel shocks. I'm sure one would work with your current shocks. On the teraflex website, it's selling for $25 and for another $25 you pick up the adapters for the bottoms to change the direction of the shock. It's cheaper than a new set and is a viable option for some.
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Okay... thanks.
That's about what I thought.

My present shocks, though still functioning okay, are about 6 years old so I'll probably just go the new shock route.

Again... thanks for your help.
Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shock absorber , shock length

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.