Lower Ball Joint sleeve/spanner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower Ball Joint sleeve/spanner

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 02-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
djbckr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lower Ball Joint sleeve/spanner

1988 YJ Wrangler

I'm in the process of doing a front-end overhaul. I managed to change out all my ball joints. My lower joints came with a tapered sleeve (spanner?) that goes inside the knuckle and fits onto the lower ball joint. I assume it's an adjustment of some kind - since it has a slit in it and will expand and hold the knuckle when the castle nut is tightened.

My question is: How should this be adjusted? Should I just set it to the same position as the old one - or is there some sort of clearance specification I should follow? The Haynes manual is no help here. I find it interesting the top joint doesn't have that sort of adjustment.

Thanks in advance.

djbckr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Those are not the stock ones. I dont see any point in using an adjustable ball joint. Take it back and get a stock ball joint.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
djbckr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well... it appears that it is stock, since the steering knuckle - which is original - has an old one inside it just like it (but rather rusty)
djbckr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-30-a-1140042/

I understand what you are asking now. No it isnt an adjustable ball joint. The taper gets puleed up inside as you torque it down. Tighten the castle nut to torque spec and you should be ok.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
mark8201

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If I remeber correctly the threaded sleeve, thread into the lower portion of the knuckle and the ball joint presses into the sleeve. I don't believe there is really any kind of adjustment that can be made. A special tool is required to replace them, I believe you can pick this up at the local parts store.
mark8201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know if you still need it but my manual says thread in to a recessed depth of .206 for the split ring. Hope this can help you or someone else that searches it out.
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Might want to double check, but the sleeve is typically only needed on early D30. My ball joints came with the sleeves too, but we're not needed for my application on my 92'.
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My Dana 44 uses a sleeve like this in the top ball joint.
When I bought Moog ball joints they had the torque specs for the sleeve.
You may want to go to a parts store that carries Moog and see if the instructions have the torque spec.
Oriellys in my area carries Moog.
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
My Dana 44 uses a sleeve like this in the top ball joint.
When I bought Moog ball joints they had the torque specs for the sleeve.
You may want to go to a parts store that carries Moog and see if the instructions have the torque spec.
Oriellys in my area carries Moog.
Interesting, In the dana 30 set up it would be impossible to set it to a torque spec as it is a threaded through hole that the split ring is threaded into. I finally got the OTC-7894 adapters in the mail yesterday so I serviced the passenger side. I set the depth on the split ring to .206 as the haynes manual stated even though my original was at .246. The preload seemed to be pretty good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.