Low Volts to Starter Solenoid - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
hensonlf

Low Volts to Starter Solenoid

Having a problem firing up my new stroker motor...i turn the key lights all turn on but will not crank. Had the battery tested and it was good, also dropped a new starter on to eliminate that. What I have been able to find is that when I turn the key, the small wire on the starter solenoid only gets about 1.7 volts, same goes for the relay at the PDC. I have 12v constant on the relay and at the large terminal on the starter. What controls the volts to that wire? Ignition switch?

I'm at a loss here...any help is appreciated.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Did you try to hotwire it?
I actually have a commercially built hot starter, It's just a momentary trigger switch on a long cord and two jumper clamps. Put one end on the hot lead to the solenoid and the other to the small lead on the solenoid. If that spins over your engine then you know the key switch is bad. If it doesn't then you need to start looking at all the grounds in the circuit.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
hensonlf

Yeah, it will crank if I "hotwire". After some more digging, I'm starting to think that the new PCM may be looking for signal from the NSS...going to check that out today and report back.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 12:25 PM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
PCM??

What is this of which you speak

I've pulled every bit of electronics off my 4.2 so the most tech thing I have in the entire rig is a marine radio w/ USB and CF capability.

I leave the fancy computer stuff to my truck and the family living room on wheels. My jeep goes places that don't play well with electronics.

Good luck.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If your NSS checks out, low voltage at the starter wire could be a bad contact on the starter relay. It would also help if you'd fill out your jeep details in your profile so we know which year of wiring we're dealing with.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
hensonlf

Quick update, grounded out the NSS. It will now crank but I get no spark. Testing the coil then CPS next.

Also, I will get my vehicle info entered.

post #7 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
hensonlf

Okay, coil good. Crankshaft position sensor showing resistance when testing with multimeter. Heading to town for a new one.

post #8 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 04:26 PM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Damn, do we have a mini Que on our hands?
post #9 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Damn, do we have a mini Que on our hands?
Well a guy who's got a clue. 4 posts is a very mini Que.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
hensonlf

New sensor in and no luck. Tested for power to the coil, getting 12v when key on, and just over 9v on other wire when cranking. But no spark coming from the coil...very strange.

Update...though I had the battery tested yesterday and was told it's good...when I crank the engine, I drop from about 12.3v to 9.6v. Not ideal, bad battery?

Last edited by hensonlf; 09-21-2017 at 06:25 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensonlf View Post
New sensor in and no luck. Tested for power to the coil, getting 12v when key on, and just over 9v on other wire when cranking. But no spark coming from the coil...very strange.

Update...though I had the battery tested yesterday and was told it's good...when I crank the engine, I drop from about 12.3v to 9.6v. Not ideal, bad battery?

What year is the jeep?
post #12 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
hensonlf

Jeep is a 95. Spent the last couple hours testing the Camshaft Position Sensor...tested at the plug and PCM and getting no pulse using an analog meter.

What are the odds of both of these sensors being bad?

Last edited by hensonlf; 09-21-2017 at 08:06 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-22-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
hensonlf

Welp, New sensor, same results. Going to to try and run a wire from the PCM to the coil plug and see I get spark that way.

post #14 of 18 Old 09-22-2017, 03:47 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

You can't run an engine on 9 volts, or 9.6 volts. There's a bad cell in your battery, it seems. Each cell is 3 volts, and you seem to drop one cell when you ask for big amps. There's probably a broken connection that is sitting together, so it reads normal under no load, but it can't handle much amps. Is your battery solidly mounted, like can't wiggle or anything? Do you use a hammer to tap the terminals back on? Those are two common causes of a bad cell, but you can get one without doing either.

If you have a second battery, or a rig that works, you can take the suspect battery completely out of the system (I think I've seen a bad cell pull a jump start down too). Disconnect the suspect battery, and go jumper cable to terminal, making sure to wrap the positive in something. Or just swap in a known good battery.

I've never trusted the auto parts store battery test. The test you did, which showed the voltage tanked when you hit the starter, makes me think you would like a new AGM battery. Even if the problem turns out to be something else, a good battery is good to have.
DirtKar likes this.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #15 of 18 Old 09-22-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
hensonlf

Yeah, completely agree. New battery is next on the list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.