Low Idle Cold, High Idle Warm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Low Idle Cold, High Idle Warm

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 11-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Lon33
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Low Idle Cold, High Idle Warm

Hi, this is my first thread i've started, so here we go! My situation is slightly different than those that i read with high Idle. I have a 93 wrangler with a 4.0 engine, five speed manual transmission, and like 154,000 miles on it. When I start up my Jeep it idles just under 1000rpm's. After it runs awhile and it heats up then it starts idling around 1500 rpm's. I just noticed the other day that it seems to be getting higher and is more around 1700rpm's now.
I just bought this jeep in the summer and have been fixing it up as i go and it never used to do this. The most recent thing I did was change the Serpentine belt and then a bit after that it started to do the high idle when warmed up. My jeep does whistle so it sounds like it might have a vacuum leak, but its done that since the day i bought it and it just recently started idling high when warm. Here is a list of things i've done to it mechanically since buying, in case it helps any figuring out with whats up.
I've changed the spark plugs and wires (I used the plugs you don't have to gap), i've changed the valve cover gasket (though i don't know if it totally seated right) and the oil pan gasket, the serpentine belt, air filter, oil, some parts for the four wheel drive to work, gas lines, and a couple other unrelated things.
I just want to know what all possibilities might be wrong with my particular instance before i attempt to fix it up. Oh, also i'm not totally mechanically inclined, I'm working on getting better. I have a general idea with stuff, but i'm no pro or amature. Any help is appreciated, THANKS!!!

Lon33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Lon33
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, not much advice going on here. So... i took some time to check my jeep over a little. I found one of the ends of one of my vacuum tubes was dry rotted really bad. I went to the dealer to replace it and they don't make that tube anymore, and they don't have any in stock anywhere. So i went to NAPA and got a tube to put there instead. It hasn't helped at all, but i'm going to get a smaller tube for the one end and splice it into the other tube because the two ends plug into different sized objects. I'm going to do this and a few other things to my YJ tomorrow, we'll see what happens.
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you have more vacuum leaks. Use brake fluid or starter fluid and spray it around vacuum lines and the intake and listen for an idle change. Check your manifold bolts, especially the ones closest to the firewall. They have a tendancy to break
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Boanerges
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You should check Idle Air Controller which is attached to the back of throttle body. has 2 screws holding it on. They have a tendency to get gummed up. Unplug, remove.. watch not to drop the little black gasket, and scrub/clean with carb cleaner. The piston inside is spring loaded and should move when pushed in with some resistance.

Last edited by Boanerges; 12-20-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Boanerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Lon33
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet, some reply's to go off of. Ok, First of all, changing that one line didn't help at all. It went from across where one of the fuel lines goes into the fuel injector, to the middle of the fuel injector where there was a y and another vacuum line leading from it. So that didn't change anything fixing that.

I will try both of your recommendations when i get a chance to. I was wondering what would be the best way to find vacuum leaks. I will keep you posted if i find anymore leaks and if fixing them helps, or if cleaning off that Idle Air Controller helps either.
Thanks for the tips, hope they work.
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Lon33
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I cleaned the sensors really good and it didn't fix anything. So i started checking the lines and i was squirting some water around exerywhere to see if I could find the air leak. Well I found it. Its leaking air in where the fuel injector bolts onto the engine. So i'm going to say that is what my problem is. I'm going to try squirting some gasket seal in there to see if it helps until i can replace the exhaust and intake gasket.
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

one day last year when i was taking my buddy home i noticed my jeep was idling around 1900 and i saw the temp guage was over 220. i opened the hood and it was pissing antifreeze. i found out that the hotter it got the higher it idled. idk if thats what your problem is but i was just throwin it out there
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Lon33
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so far as i can tell I have found what my problem was. I just finished replacing my intak/exhaust gasket because here it was letting in air. It has been doing that since i bought it this summer. Holy crap, it fixed so many issues i had. My high idle when warm is GONE! The whistle i have had is gone, it runs smoother and better, and has more power now too. Plus it is idleing a little lower than it did before too! THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
So again, my intake/exhaust gasket was bad and needed replaced. Thank you guys for your help, i wouldn't of figured it out on my own without some guidance and trouble shooting.
THIS FORUM IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.