Low idle 4.0 after rough ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Low idle 4.0 after rough ride

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 04-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
General Purpose
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Low idle 4.0 after rough ride

As as soon as I am on a rough road or any kind of flexing MY RPM drop at idle. It does not stall just sounds like it sucks wind and hovers around 200 RPM. I can hear my throttle body whistle, As soon as I give gas it is OK. As soon as I let off. It is back to low RPM almost stalling. Probably tomorrow it will be OK again at some point in the day. Vacuum?? Fuel pump from all the bouncing around? Why would my TB make noise? Anyone have a similar issue?

General Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
rawk hard xj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Loose vacuum line somewhere. Like one on the throttle body.
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean your IAC and throttle body and check your codes on any low idle. A vacuum leak will usually cause a high idle. The TPS or MAP could be suspect, but IAC and codes first.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
General Purpose
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Clean your IAC and throttle body and check your codes on any low idle. A vacuum leak will usually cause a high idle. The TPS or MAP could be suspect, but IAC and codes first.

you called it. I had to replace the IAC, it was pooched. Jeep runs good now. only issue now is I am still throwing codes. Voltage is to to high 15 volts. but alternator reads normal voltage, could be a ground to the ECM?
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds?
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
General Purpose
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I did. Just the voltage is registering 15 volts after the ecm.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

15 volts is not a full field so you aren't going to blow anything up. Normal is 14.5 to 14.9 so you are barely high and I am surprised it throws a fault. I know this is a stretch but are you sure you have the right alternator in there. For an obd 1 your voltage is regulated by the ecu. You need to pull the alternator and get out tested.
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
General Purpose
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
15 volts is not a full field so you aren't going to blow anything up. Normal is 14.5 to 14.9 so you are barely high and I am surprised it throws a fault. I know this is a stretch but are you sure you have the right alternator in there. For an obd 1 your voltage is regulated by the ecu. You need to pull the alternator and get out tested.
Good plan I will do that. thanks for all the help. I will post what I find. I know the alternator has never been changed in the 16 years I owned it. well as far as I remember I never changed it.
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have owned it that long then it is probably the right alternator. Some people swap in an internally regulated alternator and it will function fine but you get the 41 fault and a little worse fuel economy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.