Low Fuel Pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Low Fuel Pressure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Low Fuel Pressure

Jeep failed smog, because it was running too lean. Tested the fuel pressure and it's down at 22 psi. With the regulator disconnected, it jumps to 31 psi and the vacuum line leading to it is free of fuel and dry. When revving the engine, the psi jumps from 22 to about 27psi. Fuel filter is brand new. So I'm a little stumped. Is it the fuel pump or the fuel regulator that is bad?

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can always pinch off the return line for a minute and see what the pump builds up to. Shoule be in the range of 60 to 90 PSI. If its on the low side then you can bet its the pump. As a practical matter tho, I simply replaced both my pump and regulator at the same time, reasoning that they were both 20 yrs old and I didn't feel like screwing around.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
You can always pinch off the return line for a minute and see what the pump builds up to. Shoule be in the range of 60 to 90 PSI. If its on the low side then you can bet its the pump. As a practical matter tho, I simply replaced both my pump and regulator at the same time, reasoning that they were both 20 yrs old and I didn't feel like screwing around.
This is grat advice...I have swapped out alot just due to the age of it. Why wait until it goes bad and potentially causes other problems. After 20 years its due to go at anytime.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I replaced my pump, but that almost seemed to make it worse. For one, this new pump is super loud. It has a loud whine to it. Also, the fuel pressure is still down at around 22 psi. Didn't change a thing, but the regulator seems to be working fine... Now what???
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also have a total lack of power when accelerating that developed 5 minutes into driving with the new pump. I punch the gas from a dead stop and it very, very slowly accelerates. This little started happening in the middle of driving. One stop light it was zippy and responsive, and then next, it was sluggish and hardly moving forward at all. The cat is brand new. Unless the mechanic put a ****ty used one on there, but I don't think so.
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When was the last time you change the fuel filter. Has there been any work done lately? Could be a pinched line. Dont rule out the fuel pressure regulater yet eithier. Since you replaced the pump start at the tank and work your way forward.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why are you running 2 threads for the same issue?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.