Lound grinding noise at 40mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lound grinding noise at 40mph

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
jwnewell001
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lound grinding noise at 40mph

I have a very loud grinding noise at 40mph. It sounds like it is comeing for the trans of tcase. It does it as soon as you get to 40. I have changed the fluid and it didnt seem to help. I also just put a new ujoint in the rear. I have no clue what else to look at so any advice would be great. Sometimes I think the thing is going to explode.

jwnewell001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
jwnewell001
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone. It seems to do it more when you hit a bump. This is my dd and I am willing to look at anything someone might think it is.
jwnewell001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
TJJeepster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is doing the same thing, no idea either. I just changed my u joints a few days ago didn't help
TJJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
shinigami
1991 YJ Wrangler 

does it do it on deceleration or is it constant?
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
TJJeepster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is constant at any speed over 40, so if I'm going 45 the sound will continue until I slow down under 40. The breaks do not effect the noise. The gear dose not seam to matte either, It has to be a moving part that is effected by speed so I'm thinking T case?

Another bit of info- Mine started after some fairly heavy bogging and trail riding

Ideas?
TJJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.