loud squeaking noise from the front of the cooling fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > loud squeaking noise from the front of the cooling fan

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Ivonbenster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

loud squeaking noise from the front of the cooling fan

So yesturday I was just going through so brushy woodland area, nothing that a Nissan car couldn't do. All of s sudden a loud squeaking noise is coming from the cooling fan area. My first thought is the belt but thought I would get some input from you guys.

Ivonbenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Ivonbenster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I was right, it was the serpentine belt...just snapped on me but any reason as to why what caused it to break?
Unread 11-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Age, to many hot and cold cycles, weatherbeat and cracked take a close look where it broke and see if all of it was new.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Ivonbenster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Could see weather a factor since its cold here in Texas at night and then blistering hot in the day but just got a new belt so gonna slap it in tonight and hope nothing bad happens out of it
Unread 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if your 6-cyl has them or not, but before you slam the hood, I'd suggest you look for / check for the condition of the belt tensioner. Make sure the tensioner still has good 'spring' left in it. Most have an indicator arrow on them to indicate the proper 'range' of tension for the serpentine belt.

Also look at the other pulleys in the system; the alternator, the water pump, an idler (if the system has one). Give them all a good spin by hand. Listen for any noise and feel for any roughness in their operation. While you have the belt off, it is the best time to give all of these pulleys a simple inspection. These pulleys don't last forever either....

Oh yeah, if you have a clutched fan, give it a spin too. My fan clutch started making all kinds of noise that I thought my water pump was going away; come to find out it was my fan clutch.

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Ivonbenster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well found out the reason why my poor serpintine belt popped on me. Half of the bearings to one of the idler pullies just completely blew out on me. Looks like a trip to the junkyard to find a replacement
308707_376868032395324_2071863494_n.jpg  
Unread 11-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You'll likely find other idler pulleys in nearly the same condition as yours.

Then when it eats your NEW belt, you'll get to buy ANOTHER new belt!

I'd highly suggest you look at buying a NEW idler pulley.
I think they only run about $15.

.....Good Luck!

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.