Loud knocking noise when turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loud knocking noise when turning

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
jeeprookie15
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Loud knocking noise when turning

Yesterday I put my jeep in 4wd just to make sure it still worked and then put it back in 2wd. When I took off down the road, I noticed it sounded a little different when I got up to about 30-40 mph kind of like a slight grinding metal noise, but nothing really loud. I messed around with the 4wd some more to make sure that it wasn't still engaged, but now, whenever I turn my jeep will make a loud knocking/clunking noise. It makes this noise in 4wd and 2wd. I noticed the vacuum hose (I think that's what it's called) came loose so I hooked it back up but the jeep still makes the noise. Any ideas of what may be the problem?

jeeprookie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeprookie15
Yesterday I put my jeep in 4wd just to make sure it still worked and then put it back in 2wd. When I took off down the road, I noticed it sounded a little different when I got up to about 30-40 mph kind of like a slight grinding metal noise, but nothing really loud. I messed around with the 4wd some more to make sure that it wasn't still engaged, but now, whenever I turn my jeep will make a loud knocking/clunking noise. It makes this noise in 4wd and 2wd. I noticed the vacuum hose (I think that's what it's called) came loose so I hooked it back up but the jeep still makes the noise. Any ideas of what may be the problem?
Most likely your exhaust pipe is rubbing the front drive shaft.
rodgers3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your front u joints tireside?
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you hook the vacuum lines up backwards? If so, the slip shaft (?? Correct terminology) that locks the passenger side axle shafs together will be engaged. Maybe this will cause everythin in the diff to spin and give you a clunking from the axle shafts spinning?
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4wd , knocking

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.