Loud clicking from engine under load - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loud clicking from engine under load

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
lower7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Loud clicking from engine under load

I am getting a loud clicking sound from my engine when i pull a grade. I had originally thought it was transmission related but have ruled that out with my AX15 swap and new clutch.

Do any of you engine gurus have a thought about what is going on in there? I have 175K on the clock. Is it getting ready to go on me?

Thanks,

John

lower7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Detonation?

What's your timing set at?

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I use the phone android app so can't see profiles or SIG lines. Just guessing that your timing might be advanced too much if you have the 258. That said, the CJ owners manual on the 258 states it is supposed to rattle under load on a hill. This is normal and a sign that you need to downshift. If it still pings under heavy load or running hot, the manual recommends high test gas.

I got 5 mpg better running high test on my 258 with the timing set to 9 btdc with way better throttle response. I figure an extra 100 miles per tank was well worth the extra $7.00 or so a fill.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

check your intake and exhaust gaskets for leaks
Unread 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I agree that it is probably pinging - detonation - knock. All terms for the same thing.

The key is the Howell EFI kit. I've been tweaking my timing after the Howell install. The engine originally had a knock sensor which would retard the timing as needed to avoid knock.

Now you don't have a knock sensor, and the GM throttle body ported vacuum source connected to the distributor vacuum advance has a different pressure profile than the stock Carter carb. Plus you have eliminated the PCM and the ICM no longer has the ability to adjust timing for you. You have to go old school on it.

I'm still working on exactly where I want mine. But to stop the pinging it is an easy adjustment. Get a 1/8" allen wrench. Pull the vacuum hose off the distributor. Stick the allen wrench in the vacuum nipple and find the set screw. Turn it counterclockwise about 2 turns. Then test drive. Go another turn, test, repeat as necessary until the pinging under load just stops. Count the total number of turns and make a note for yourself so you can reverse it if you don't like the result.

Then research timing profiles over in the CJ forum for more in depth instructions on perfecting the timing mechanical and vacuum advance. The above should be used just to prove that it is indeed pinging, and not something else. The CJ forum has better info on the 4.2 than the YJ forum.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.