Lots of metal in my AX-15 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
SteelKJ

Lots of metal in my AX-15

This sounds expensive, but I've got about 1/4 inch of metal shavings magnetized to my drain plug on the AX-15. When I drained the oil it came out looking like day old chocolate milk!
I noticed on my way home from work that when I eased off the gas in 1st and 2nd and let the engine slow me down it made a nice metalic grinding noise. This prompted me to do the oil change. Is this more than just replacing the syncros? Or should I look at finding a newer or rebuilt tranny?

I'm gratefull for any advice you've got to offer, I'll need all the info I can get before I let my wife in on the bad news.

[Edit]

I've been thinking maybe now is a good time to swap out the engine for something newer. I've searched the board and think that a engine and tranny from a 95-96 would be a good replacement. Would this be a direct bolt in for a 91 YJ? Is there any little pieces that I should be aware of when doing this type of swap?

Thanks

Last edited by SteelKJ; 07-20-2004 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2004, 10:36 AM
CanukYJ

Not sure on the swap but with the tranny the grinding may mean the bearings are finished or it could have just been the noise the water\oil mix was making not lubing the bearings right. I changed the oil in my ax5 and found a lot of metal in there, it just happens in trannies, so it –may- not mean it’s toasted. Why not just get some GOOD tranny oil (redline, or quaker state syncromesh gl 3\4 80w90) and dump it in (use some regular gear oil to flush out the rest of the water, see the other post floating in here about that one) and see what happens. There may be more lift left in it than you think and it will buy some time so you can consider the swap.

My jeep has only ever killed 3 things, a cat, a deer, and my wallet. What's the problem officer?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2004, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
SteelKJ

Thanks CanuckYJ, I'll try flushing the tranny before I go any further. I checked with a few local shops and they wanted anywhere from $750 to $1000 (Can) to rebuild it. Damn these things are expensive!
If I decide to replace the AX-15 from another vehicle, would any vehicle work or is each model a little different?

post #4 of 4 Old 07-20-2004, 04:05 PM
CanukYJ

ALL jeeps should use the same AX15 from what I understand and I know –some- years of dodge dakota’s have them too but I don’t know a lot about the Dakota years. Good luck and hope the flush works out for the better.

My jeep has only ever killed 3 things, a cat, a deer, and my wallet. What's the problem officer?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.