lost my 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lost my 4wd

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 01-19-2002, 05:19 PM   #1
jeep thing

lost my 4wd

hey whats going on. This is the problem i was playing in the snow and went through a big bank half way through i lost the 4wd. I thought it might be the shifting fork so i took it apart it wasn't it. If it is my vacume motor is there any way i can pinch off a line if it is broke. They wan't almost $300 here for one. If anyone has a spare one they want to sell i would bye it. By the way it is a 92yj.

jeep thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

Check all of your vacuum lines going to the front axle. It sounds like you knocked one off. Do you still have the indicator light saying it's in 4 wheel drive or did that go out too? If it's out, then I'd say that a vacuum leak is the problem.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 09:05 AM   #3
eltj

You can get whats called a posi lock that runs off a cable and hooks to a lever inside you jeep. My friends yj had the same problem and we replaced it with the posi lock and no more problems. Its nice not having to worry about the cold weather or vacume lines effecting the 4wd system any more.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 12:55 PM   #4
Wildbill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a '92YJ also and couldn't find a manual anywhere with the type of diagram that looked like the one I had. Evidently in '92 they changed the vacuum switch to only two ports on top instead of three. Only one has vacuum at a time, to either engage or disengage. Put the entire jeep up on jack stands or lift and switch into 4WD and see if the vacuum is present in each. If the vacuum is there respectively you may have to buy a new vac switch but don't go to the dealer you can get the exact same one (Dana Spicer) from 4WD Hardware for about $100 bucks cheaper.

[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #23[/COLOR]

'92 [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] YJ 4.0 HO, 5spd.
'04 [COLOR=silver]Bright Silver[/COLOR] Liberty Sport 4X4 3.7L Stock for now
[URL]www.peaceriverjeepers.com[/URL]

What do a Divorce in Alabama, A Tornado in Kansas and a Hurricane in Florida all have in common?.....No matter what someone is fixin' to lose a trailer
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.