lost 2 wheel high and 4 wheel high - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lost 2 wheel high and 4 wheel high

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
FraziersYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

lost 2 wheel high and 4 wheel high

I can't figure this out.... goin down the road, and all of a sudden it was like i put it in neutral, but the tranny's fine, so my next thought was the transfer case popped out of gear so i pulled it into 4 wheel high n nothing happened, i pulled it into low and it goes like there is nothing wrong with it. But now when i try to put it in high it's always low no matter where the shifter is, all the way forward or all the way back. anybody else ever heard of this happening?

FraziersYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Drain the TC and check for chunks.

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Drain the TC and check for chunks.
x2. Sounds like your high range gear stripped out.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If it shifts out of 4 low but you have no other gears then there is something wrong with the insides of the t-case. Sheared gears etc.

If it will not shift out of 4 low (stays in 4 low regardless of what you do) then I would check the linkages. It sounds like a linkage came loose and allowed the t-case to drop out of gear, you then pulled it back to 4 low and the linkage connection to go forward back into 4 high and 2 high is disconnected.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What Grape said. The end of the linkage rod has a flanged stop on it so when you pulled it to low it slid against the stop and went to lo. When you move it forward the adjuster just slid on the shaft and did nothing. Crawl under and check it out....
Unread 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
MrLude1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not to hijack your tread, but I'm havin a similar yet opposite problem. I can't even shift into 4Wlo, could it also be a TC issue?
Unread 03-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
cmsurfer
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLude1 View Post
Not to hijack your tread, but I'm havin a similar yet opposite problem. I can't even shift into 4Wlo, could it also be a TC issue?
As in physically can't shift into 4 Low? Can you shift into 4 High or neutral? When I first got my Jeep, it took me and other person to physically shift into 4 low. It may have never been used, but it's been fine since. Just so you know, you have to push the shifter to the right then pull back to 4 low.
cmsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
MrLude1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick response, but, yeah, I physically cannot shift the darn lever into 4wlo. I know (shift-knob illustration) to shift to the right then down into 4Wlo, but no luck. I bet it's never been in that range in my case either tho.
Unread 03-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
SECorBust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I tore down my t-case (just for good measure) one of the shift forks was gnawed up like the dog ate it. It still shifted, but I replaced the part. I have heard of others who needed new shift forks. There are some plastic parts that go on the end of the forks and once those fall off or get worn down who knows what happens.
SECorBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
CaveDave
Y J? Because...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The shifter rotates a bracket within the Tcase with several indentions on it, one for each gear, 2hi, 4hi, etc. To hold this bracket in place there are two spring loaded pins. One is for your vacuum switch, the other is opposite the switch. One or both of these may have failed - leaving this shifter bracket loose and unstable. Unfortunately, the Tcase must be disassembled to inspect one of these spring loaded pins (the one opposite the switch).

If you didn't hear a bunch of grinding then the likelyhood of failed gears is very low.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.