At a loss need help please yj cutting out - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > At a loss need help please yj cutting out

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
pgun
1993 YJ Wrangler 

did you get this fixed?

I have a 93 YJ that won't start, sounds like it could be similar problem to your jeep, i have checked a lot of the same stuff that you have. just wondering, did you get your problem 100% fixed? If so what did you do and what was the actual problem with your jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade85 View Post
Alright I've got a small issue, I've changed the cap ,rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, cut the cat out, changed the coil, cleaned the injector, drained the fuel put fresh gas in, new oil and filter and air filter, heater core, and pvc valve. still cutting out. runs like a top until it gets to operating temp and then starts cutting out push in the clutch revs up just fine with a little miss, shut it down, and after I let it chill out it runs great until it gets back up to temp then i'm right back where I started any help would be greatly appreciated thanks... By the way its an 89 yj 2.5

Patrick
'93 Wrangler
pgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It acts like its starving for fuel i've pulled the plugs they look alil lean but they aren't snow white just alil off white, again I appreciate all the feed back I'm getting from you guys I'm open for anything rite now.
Renegade85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey pgun, no I ain't got it completely figured out yet but as soon as I do I'll be glad to help you out.
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you u hook your battery after you unplugged the o2?

To reset the computer
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ah nope but good thinking , dah this things got me not thinking strait I'll do that thanks man
Unread 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like cps to me too. I lived with the same problem until my rig quit due to not being able to figure out my cps was bad.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What exactly was yours doing pasinbuy cause once mine starts I can live with it , it won't even pull its own a$$ up a hill or hardly on a flat surface
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade85
What exactly was yours doing pasinbuy cause once mine starts I can live with it , it won't even pull its own a$$ up a hill or hardly on a flat surface
Does that motor use the lower o2 sensor? I cut my down pipe shorter to gain some clearance and completely unhooked the lower o2 sensor. I would have problems with it cutting out and being gutless when it got wet. I narrowed it down to the plug for that sensor. I filled the plug with rtv to keep the water out and haven't had any problems since.
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade85 View Post
The emissions light was on but if I reach down and flick the little timer box it goes off ,when I changed the heater core I put the air box back in it kinda had the wire to the box in a bind and that's when that light started coming on....
You need to start with first things first. You need to find out why the CEL is coming on (whether wires, ECU or sensor issue) and correct that before going further. If the ECU circuitry is not working correctly, there is no way you're going to fix problems.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys again thank you all for the replies I think I found the culprit I've had a radiator on order since mine had sprung a leak, put it in today and no more cutting out so far my guess is the antifreeze was being caught by the fan after it started getting pressure behind it and was getting it wet enough to make it start cutting out, so she's back in action, thanks guys...
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright guys I still had some cutting out and after some more digging I decided to go with changing the map sensor and it runs like a dream now thanks for all your input guys it helped me narrow my problem down
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it figured out and fixed, glad to help.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

alright guys im back dang thing has started its same stuff again don't wanna start turn the key itll fire then die does that about two or three times then will fire up and idle real high then come back down to normal. it starts to get back up to temp then will fall on its face and start cutting out and just running like ***.... thimking about dropping a 305 in her will it bolt up too my bell housing and will it chew up the stock 5 speed tranny
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #29
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your trans will not hold up behind a 305

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #30
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't think so think so thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.