At a loss need help please yj cutting out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > At a loss need help please yj cutting out

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

At a loss need help please yj cutting out

Alright I've got a small issue, I've changed the cap ,rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, cut the cat out, changed the coil, cleaned the injector, drained the fuel put fresh gas in, new oil and filter and air filter, heater core, and pvc valve. still cutting out. runs like a top until it gets to operating temp and then starts cutting out push in the clutch revs up just fine with a little miss, shut it down, and after I let it chill out it runs great until it gets back up to temp then i'm right back where I started any help would be greatly appreciated thanks... By the way its an 89 yj 2.5

Renegade85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hate to see parts being thrown at it but when I had a cutting out issue as well, I also replaced the map sensor and the crank position sensor. I felt it was time after 20years. I also fixed my vacuum hose leak, exhaust leak, and rebuilt my throttle body.

After all that, it hasn't had the issue again. Just somethings to think about.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

throttle position sensor and/or crank position sensor? gotta love electrical bs
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My vote crank sensor. Classic symptoms
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's your o2 sensor.. The coolant temp sensor regulates how much fuel is delivered until it gets close to operating temp then the o2 sensor takes over.. When they go bad they can make the ECM deliver to much fuel causing the engine to almost flood and have no power or it can starve the motor of fuel and also have no power...

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your replies guys... usually I can figure the problem out within an hour or so but this has been a pain, so the crank and or throttle sensor won't start acting up till after it warms up, cause it runs fine until then.
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So if I unplug the 02 will I see a difference or will it act the same.
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade85
So if I unplug the 02 will I see a difference or will it act the same.
Yes it should make a difference when it is unplugged... Some people say it doesn't but every time I've tried it it does... And according to the way OBD1 is supposed to work it will resort to a factory default setting for the sensor that is unplugged.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade85
Thanks for your replies guys... usually I can figure the problem out within an hour or so but this has been a pain, so the crank and or throttle sensor won't start acting up till after it warms up, cause it runs fine until then.
No these sensors should act the same no matter what the engine temp is

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I was told too this is just getting aggravating well I unplugged the 02 and its still acting the same, I've cut the cat out so putting in a new o2 would be pointless wouldn't it and it was doing this before I cut it out
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

So what does it do when it cuts out? Does it miss fire or anything like that? How long does it cut out for? Does it happen when you hit bumps?

I would use your o2 sensor with or without a cat.. Because it tells the ECM what air/fuel mixture you have.. Which allows it to get the motor running properly..

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No it didn't start until I drive it for around about 2 miles then starts to miss and spit and sputter,I can shut it off let it chill for about 20 min and take off driving and runs fine until up to temp again then it starts all over
Unread 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade85 View Post
No it didn't start until I drive it for around about 2 miles then starts to miss and spit and sputter,I can shut it off let it chill for about 20 min and take off driving and runs fine until up to temp again then it starts all over
Unplugging the o2 brings it to a factory default setting. I ran mine with no o2 for 3 months. I had a sputter at first take off. Then it went away. Only when cold it did that. Not cold weather I mean a fresh start up. Try pulling a code up. Worth a shot
Unread 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you getting a CEL? (check engine light)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Renegade85
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The emissions light was on but if I reach down and flick the little timer box it goes off ,when I changed the heater core I put the air box back in it kinda had the wire to the box in a bind and that's when that light started coming on but it was still running fine after that it wasn't until I went off road and decided to drop off in a big a$$ hole it keeled over the starter locked up at this point so we roll started it after we pulled it out, and it wasn't until I got about 5, 10 miles down the road it started doing this got it home changed everything like I said in my first post and now I can't get it to stop cutting out, prolly should have mentioned the water hole to begin with but ya,.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.