Losing Power while driving - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Losing Power while driving

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The nutter would not pass smog if modified. It is basically taking back the ignition system to the early CJ ignition system. The nutter on the other hand is a good mod and necessary if you put on anything other then the stock carb and is probably the #1 mod on the 4.2.
I was pushing him toward keeping the carb stock because of the Californians (Not all mind you) who have come here and tried to turn this place into where they left. It is actually illegal to sell a non compliant vehicle here unless sold as a "tow away" It can open a real can of worms!

I live on the far west side of town and for what ever reason, I don't have to test??

Unread 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, the testing in michigan was the same way. County by county you had one county requiring it and another not. They got rid of it here. That is a big difference in deciding what you need to do.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, i was typing thinking of just leaving the hoses in there so if i did have to go to another smog shop they would see it still hooked up. I will worry about the mod when i sell it. Which if i get it running right wont before a long time. I could see me keeping this for 15 to 20 year and by then it might not be subject to a check. I just checked the dmv site and if i reg it as a classic i wont have to smog it but i cant drive it more than 2500 miles a year. I think i will burn through that pretty quick.
Another good thing about reading that 16 page thread is i think i found what is wrong with my 4x4 drive not kicking in. I am real sure it doesn't have the vac line hooked up. So i am getting closer.
Whoo hoo!
ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cleaning the idle tubes is still the easiest repair.

Re read and just Doooo ittttt! You will be back good as new!

Will take 30 minutes. Do you have a garage and tools?
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So i didnt get time to do it last night. But i did look at it.
So from this pic, i am looking to clean out the copper tubes? I circled them in red but i am not sure if you can see it.
Anyway, i need to remove the hoop that the cleaner bolts to. Then pull the linkage off of both ends of the top plate. Take the 2 screws off the plate and pull it. That is the choke plate, right? Then i can pull the screw on the left side of the rod and pull it out to the right. Then i pull the 2 screws below that and the whole venture will come out?
Then clean the tubes and reverse to install?

forumrunner_20130411_060601.jpg
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Adman your profile says you are 93 years old! You seem to be doing pretty good old timer!

I dont know very much about carbs but try this link and see if it helps:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...e-luck-959564/
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Q. Definitely not where i thought they were. Pictures help so much!. A few more parts than i thought to come off, but still seems do able. Now if i can just get the time. Between the hobbies, chores, work and chasing tail i have to find some extra time.
Nope not 93, just about half of that. I never put to much real info on the net. I dont trust big brother, so i make them work for it if they want to follow me around.
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Chris does have a point. I still think it's strange you were running good and got it smogged and then it craps out on you. Are yousure they didn't tweak anything when you took it to them?
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #24
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I had not really pushed it hard before then. Steering is a little squirrelly so i had not had it on the freeway before. I think its was more to do with bouncing it around off road really. When we first got back to pavement, i thought the exhaust sounded funny and that is when it started stalling at the stop signs. Not sure how much junk is in the gas tank. Something could have come loose and got in the fuel line pretty easy. Plus its sounding like this happens alot. So i am going to check it out. Also going to check to see if the carb might have come loose and has a vac leak then the fuel filter. But with a clogged filter i would think that it would not start at all. Its taking a while to start now.
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No it can partially block the flow. I am not a 4.2 guy so I am not as familar. Old4x and Pete know them real well. My strong suit is electrical.
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #26
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well i finally did it. Cancelled some plans to do this today and Chris was right. Less than 30 minutes. Didn't seem clogged but there was some yellow jelly on the tip of one. But she fired right up and idles smooth. I don't think i am going to get it on the highway today but maybe this weekend.
Thank you all for your help.
All i can say is wow, that was way easy!!
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent!

Good Job!
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

good call chris!
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I owe it all to you two and everyone on this site.
Thanks.
I would never bad a clue where to start without the advise from here
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

OK so I got back to working on this thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.