losing clutch pressure, not issue of bleeding/leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > losing clutch pressure, not issue of bleeding/leak

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSpartan Locker 1 day sale This Friday only!

Unread 06-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

losing clutch pressure, not issue of bleeding/leak

So I lost my clutch pressure coming home from my last final of the semester, great first day of summer right? Not really. Anyway, I figured it had simply accumulated some air since I last bled the system.

Guys, I bled the living **** out of it. It will hold pressure for about 5 minutes then it goes soft again.

No visible leaks in any lines or anything. Airs going in, no fluid coming out.

Now I'm no mechanic but any means, just a kid trying to drive his Heep again.(by the way, wish I had known this before...Wrangler = total babe magnet )

Anyhoo, was tracing along the hydraulic lines and checking fittings and whatnot when I came across this thing.

I'm referring to the black T thing for lack of a known name. Was playing around with it and it seems to fit fairly snug inside that fitting to the right. While I'm fairly certain it should probably be pushed in, I really have no idea. Just thought I'd throw out some recently discovered possibilities of air entrances.

Any advice regarding other known inlets of air, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Devin

dhunt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm kind of thinking there was supposed to be a picture above showing this "black T thing" you refer to?

At any rate, our clutch was doing the same thing. We would bleed it, be good for a few days, then get soft, then it eventually got to the point where it would go soft within minutes. It got old, it happens. As it turns out, the clutch was leaking INTERNALLY. No visible leaks on the driveway, no fluid on the lines, etc. It was leaking from the inside. Changed out the slave cylinder and everything was right as rain. I'm kinda thinking, from what you described, that your problem is similar ---- a leaking slave cylinder.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's either your slave or your master. Get the kit that has both and get both birds stoned at once.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh? I can see the picture on mine just fine? Haha I don't know. Regardless, the MC maintains its fluid level...that's the only catch. I'm not experiencing any mysterious loss of fluid without leaks. Fluid levels maintain. Clutch pressure does not.
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

picture post attempt #2

Unread 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

yup, i have the same problem as you. losing clutch pressure and fluid maintaining full levels and bled the system...On a couple of trips to moab and back i would have to pump the clutch 30 times to get the pressure back to be able to shift after being on the highway for a while. Seems to only act up then, driving short distances and its fine.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Fear not lad

dude, just had the same thing.. was dealing with it for a about a month and would have to pump the **** out of it/refill the master/ bleed the system. Long story short it was my internal slave cylinder, picked up a pretty cheap Exedy replacement w/ a clutch rebuild kit included all for $165, i figured while i had the tranny out might as well redo the clutch since that's bound to go sometime down the road too lol. I had also replaced the master a few weeks prior, hoping that'd solve my issues. Best bet is to try and change the master, if that doesn't do the trick than it's definitely an internal leak of the slave. If you want you can switch your bell housing to the external style which the later models of yj had so if it ever occurs again it'll be an easier fix. I have a few write ups left if that's what you plan on doing.
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerist View Post
Seems to only act up then, driving short distances and its fine.

yeah mine seems to lose it by the end of the driveway
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakeane View Post
dude, just had the same thing.. was dealing with it for a about a month and would have to pump the **** out of it/refill the master/ bleed the system. Long story short it was my internal slave cylinder, picked up a pretty cheap Exedy replacement w/ a clutch rebuild kit included all for $165, i figured while i had the tranny out might as well redo the clutch since that's bound to go sometime down the road too lol. I had also replaced the master a few weeks prior, hoping that'd solve my issues. Best bet is to try and change the master, if that doesn't do the trick than it's definitely an internal leak of the slave. If you want you can switch your bell housing to the external style which the later models of yj had so if it ever occurs again it'll be an easier fix. I have a few write ups left if that's what you plan on doing.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to bring it in. I'm still away at school so I'm in an apartment and don't have the ability to drop the tranny and do all the necessary work. Guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and chuck out $$$ to have someone do it...
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunt09 View Post
Yeah, I guess I'll have to bring it in. I'm still away at school so I'm in an apartment and don't have the ability to drop the tranny and do all the necessary work. Guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and chuck out $$$ to have someone do it...
Yeah i took it out myself which was actually a lot worse of an experience than I had planned lol - leaked **** all over my parents drive way and what not.. plus i didn't have a tranny jack so i kinda rigged up some sort of a chain fall and took it out.. my buddy had the same problem and it ran him $560 w/o the parts that he brought so it's a real pain in the ***
[COLOR="Navy"]US Navy Jeep Club Hull# 231[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Maritime Offroading Club[/COLOR]
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakeane View Post
Yeah i took it out myself which was actually a lot worse of an experience than I had planned lol - leaked **** all over my parents drive way and what not.. plus i didn't have a tranny jack so i kinda rigged up some sort of a chain fall and took it out.. my buddy had the same problem and it ran him $560 w/o the parts that he brought so it's a real pain in the ***

Yeah, not stoked. Gonna bring it in, drive it back home, rip the new slave out and convert to an external. Huge waste of money but at least I'll have an easier time in the future replacing it when I don't have access to the equipment that home provides.
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I lost my clutch pressure coming home from my last final of the semester, great first day of summer right? Not really. Anyway, I figured it had simply accumulated some air since I last bled the system.

Guys, I bled the living **** out of it. It will hold pressure for about 5 minutes then it goes soft again.

No visible leaks in any lines or anything. Airs going in, no fluid coming out.

Now I'm no mechanic but any means, just a kid trying to drive his Heep again.(by the way, wish I had known this before...Wrangler = total babe magnet )

Anyhoo, was tracing along the hydraulic lines and checking fittings and whatnot when I came across this thing.

I'm referring to the black T thing for lack of a known name. Was playing around with it and it seems to fit fairly snug inside that fitting to the right. While I'm fairly certain it should probably be pushed in, I really have no idea. Just thought I'd throw out some recently discovered possibilities of air entrances.

Any advice regarding other known inlets of air, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Devin
That black Tee thingy (Now that your picture uploaded) is simply a tool that releases the quick disconnect fitting from your clutch line to your slave. Typically this is embedded into the fitting, so perhaps make sure that this fitting is firmly seated before all else. I suspect though that your slave is bad, unfortunately for you it is internal, meaning the tranny has to be pulled to properly fix. This is the time to consider an external slave upgrade. If you can source the external slave bell housing, shift fork with bearing, bearing retainer plate for the tranny, then go for it while you have the transmission out.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
That black Tee thingy (Now that your picture uploaded) is simply a tool that releases the quick disconnect fitting from your clutch line to your slave. Typically this is embedded into the fitting, so perhaps make sure that this fitting is firmly seated before all else. I suspect though that your slave is bad, unfortunately for you it is internal, meaning the tranny has to be pulled to properly fix. This is the time to consider an external slave upgrade. If you can source the external slave bell housing, shift fork with bearing, bearing retainer plate for the tranny, then go for it while you have the transmission out.
Yeah, I've since pushed it back in with no luck on retaining pressure. What does the cost of the convert typically run?
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just want to point something out. I know it should be fixed but... It is still drivable. I had to drive mine for 6 months before I could change my slave. All I had to do was change my driving habits a bit. Such as when I was at a red light I would have to start pumping the clutch when the other directions light was changing. I could never leave it in gear while waiting in traffic. Yes I had to pump the clutch lots, but it sure did beat the shop cost till the snow went away. Once you get yourself moving, the rest is easy after that. It's just a suggestion until you can get to a friends or whatever you have to in order to possibly do it yourself. I suppose the shop wouldn't be terrible, maybe you could even drive it until you get all the parts for the swap and have the shop install it while they have it apart?...? Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I've since pushed it back in with no luck on retaining pressure. What does the cost of the convert typically run?
The cost is a krap shoot. All depends on what is available at the time you are looking and the urgency there of. When I upgraded my drive train from the 2.5L to the 4.0L, I could not find all the parts necessary to complete the job when needed. 2 months later, they were available. All I can say is to check for the parts and if you can get them in a timely fashion. Otherwise, fix it with stock, then accumulate the parts needed for the future.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.